From:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:51:58 -0600

Hi.

I developed the following recipes so that my 9-year-old son could enjoy cookies just like the pre-CD days.  These look and taste like the Girl Scout versions and are incredibly easy to prepare.  They are so yummy that on the first time I made them my son (who is also diabetic) was begging me for another insulin shot so that he could eat more! :)

Enjoy!
Teresa

Thin Mint Cookies

40 round-shaped Crackers (unflavored)

1/2 C. Chocolate Chips (use semi-sweet for slightly less carbs; use milk chocolate type for sweeter version)

10 drops gluten-free Mint or Peppermint extract

1/6 stick paraffin (wax found in grocery canning section)

1.  Melt chocolate chips and paraffin together in microwave, stirring occasionally to blend.

2.  Add drops of mint extract.  Stir.

3.  Dip cracker into melted chocolate (using small tongs or fingers) to coat.   It may be necessary to reheat chocolate/paraffin mixture periodically as it begins to harden.  Remove coated cracker to wax paper for drying.

4.  Store in refrigerator to prevent melting or store at room temp if desired.

For Gluten-Free brands, I use Bi-Aglut snack crackers, Hershey or Baker's chocolate chips, and McCormick's brand of mint extract.

Approx. 10 gm. Carbohydrate each.

***************

Peanut Butter Patties (tastes just like the Girl Scouts version)

40 round-shaped Crackers (unflavored)

1/2 C. Chocolate Chips (use semi-sweet for slightly less carbs; use milk chocolate type for sweeter version)

1/2 C. Peanut Butter

1/6 stick paraffin (wax found in grocery canning section)

1.  Melt chocolate chips and paraffin together in microwave, stirring occasionally to blend.

2.  Spread light amount of peanut butter onto top of each cracker.

3.  Dip peanut butter-cracker into melted chocolate (using small tongs or fingers) to coat.   It may be necessary to reheat chocolate/paraffin mixture periodically as it begins to harden.  Remove coated cracker to wax paper for drying.

4.  Store in refrigerator to prevent melting or store at room temp if desired.

For Gluten-Free brands, I use Bi-Aglut snack crackers, Hershey or Baker's chocolate chips, and Skippy or Jiff peanut butter.

Note: for variation, add flaked coconut into peanut butter for spread.  (Baker's brand is gluten-free. )

Approximately 10 gm. Carbohydrate each.