From:
Cliff Kothcka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:32:12 -0600

  Peter never had a soft
>stool in his life until going GF, and he was on lots and lots of milk for a
>long time.  We're trying to decide whether to challenge with lactose-reduced
>milk, or the real thing.  At the risk of getting too personal, are there any
>previously-constipated celiacs out there who can offer any advice based on
>personal experience?

Why put him through a possible ordeal.  If you a looking for a lactose free
whole milk, why not make your own using Lactiad?  Also, try yogurt.  It is
predigested and has less lactose.  If you warm it up and stir it, it will
take on the consistancy of a milk shake. If necessary, you can also make
your own yogurt with milk you have treated.

>2.  A recent stool test showed that there are substances in Peter's stool
>which are normally broken down during the digestive process.  This was the
>first "hard" evidence of malabsorption other than his inability to gain
>weight and the constipation (which isn't the typical celiac symptom).  We've
>only been GF for 6 weeks and have made some mistakes so we have to assume
>that Peter's villae are still recovering.  Are abnormal stool tests typical
>in newly diagnosed/recovering celiacs?

The only way to know is to have noted how bad they were before.  If your son
is beginning to thrive, you can assume there has been  improvement in the
condition.

>4.  Let's say (even if the MDs won't) that Peter really does have CD.  If we
>stick to the diet, how long before his intestines recover enough to help him
>digest his food better and start to grow?  3 months?  6 months?  I know it
>won't happen overnight, but I need ammunition in my attempts to put off the
>feeding tube option until we give the diet a fair chance to help him.

You will probably have to ask a PED who is familiar with CD.  Remember also
that a normal baby's digestive tract isn't fully developed at birth either
so maybe it takes an infant longer to heal.
In any case, find a doctor who is familiar with the problem.

--

Cliff Kotchka
Riverside, Illinois