From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:55:06 -0700

This was my very favorite fruit bread/muffin recipe before GF, and imagine
my delight when I discovered that it tastes *even better* GF!

Note that I am writing the recipe as it was shown originally, and then
showing the changes I made in [brackets]. This way you'll be able to make
your own substitutions if you can't make the same ones I made.

Enjoy!

Carma in Phoenix

------------------------------
Banana Blueberry Bread/Muffins

  1/4 cup canola oil
1     tbsp honey
2     eggs [I doubled the entire recipe and added an extra egg
            to compensate for our flour, so 5 eggs total]
3     very ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour [replace with GF flour mix (see below)]
1     tsp baking soda
  1/4 tsp salt
  1/2 cup oats, uncooked [replace with quinoa flakes for hot cereal]
1     cup blueberries or raisins
  3/4 cup walnuts, broken in pieces (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine oil, honey, and eggs in food processor. [Beat the oil and eggs well
first, and add the honey slowly, to get more volume.] Beat in mashed
bananas and set aside.

In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add oats. Carefully stir
in blueberries (or raisins) and walnuts, making sure they're well coated
with flour. [This helps keep them from sinking to the bottom.] Add to
banana mixture, stirring just until moistened.

For bread: Pour batter into a loaf pan coated with nonstick spray. Bake for
50-55 minutes or until golden brown. [It will probably take 10-15 minutes
longer for GF bread.]

For muffins: Line muffin cups with papers [I just spray nonstick spray in
the cups, they come out fine] and fill 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 20-25
minutes until golden brown. [It will probably take 5-10 minutes longer for
GF muffins.]

I made both bread and muffins and found the muffins a little better. The
bread was kind of heavy on bottom; it seemed like the bananas had sort of
sunk to the bottom half. But the muffins were fantastic! Even my very picky
non-GF husband loved them!

------------------------
ALL PURPOSE GF FLOUR MIX

I use the GF flour mix posted by a lister a short while back. I have found
it to work great in everything I've tried so far!

4        cups brown rice flour
1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour (NOT white rice flour)
1      cup tapioca starch or tapioca starch flour
1      cup rice polish (or rice bran, but it's not as good)
1      tbsp xanthan gum or guar gum

Make large batches and store in freezer. This compares to all purpose wheat
flour; substitute it 1 cup to 1 cup.

------
Enjoy!