From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:52:00 -0400

Hi,

I just got a copy of "The Complete Guide to Wheat-Free Cooking" by
Phyllis Potts.  Nearly all the recipes are GF, and use a combination
of rice and chick pea flour.  This seems more nutritious than Bette
Hagman's mix.

However, my first experiment went badly.  I don't have a bread machine,
but she says her recipes can be made by hand, by adding more flour until
the dough can be kneaded.  Didn't *sound* right...but I tried it anyway.
I had to add a ton of flour before it could be handled, and sure enough,
the bread turned out like a brick.  (I used to make wheat bread by hand,
so I know there wasn't anything wrong with my kneading techniques.  I've
also made many GF breads with no problems, but none involved kneading.)

Has anyone else tried this?  Should I have let it rise longer?  Or is
she just out to lunch with this idea (no pun intended :) )?

Eleanor "don't mess with me or I'll hit you with my bread!" Symonds