From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 07:42:48 EDT

I would like to ask those people who have CD, were you overweight when you
were diagnosed, and what were your symptoms?

The fact that I was overweight led doctors to laugh at the fact that I
had CD.  I had one great doctor, who moved to another area, who discovered my
severe nutritional problems, but not why I had problems.  I had heart problems,
was bruised all over, my bones and muscles hurt, bright light hurt my eyes and
I had to wear sunglasses all the time, I had severe depression and anxiety
among many other symptoms.  The first doctor sent me to a nutritionist.  The
nutritionist did not suspect CD, but put me on massive doses of natural
vitamins 8 times a day.  The nutritional deficiency were reduced
greatly, within a month the depression and anxiety I had all my life
disappeared, but I was going broke from the vitamin costs.  When I went
to a new doctor, he laughed at me, saying "You're being ripped off by the
nutritionist.  All you have to show for it is expensive urine, nutritional
deficiencies are almost unknown today in our country.  You get all you need
from food."  "And", he said with laugh and a wave of the arm, "look at you!"
He meant my overweight which I could not seem to lose despite the small amount
of food I consumed.  I was destroyed.  He just laughed at me and told me I
had psychological problems.  "Some people just liked to take pills," he
said. I never took medicine when I didn't need it, and it was years between
antibiotics.

I do not have classic symptoms of intestinal distress and would like to
hear from others who were overweight when diagnosed, because when I got
my first newsletters from CSA, (about 5 years ago) in their symptoms of CD, it
didn't seem to cover my type of CD and appeared to only recognized the more
classic symptoms.  The Washington group had more diverse symptoms on their
newsletter.  I would like to know if I am in a small minority or just
that those who do not have any intestinal problems are still out their
undiagnosed?

Carol, NJ