From:
ABIGAIL NEUMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:32:08 -0500

I am nervous about a company changing it's spiel once they start getting a
lot of phone calls.  We may be doing ourselves more harm than good if we all
start calling the same company to verify information.  My gut feeling is to
trust the first response they provided.  We put companies into a panic when
we all start calling.  There has to be a better way to handle this so that we
don't get companies lying to us.  I am not saying that this manufacturer is
or is not lying to us.  Perhaps it really is corn starch on the altoids.  I
would like to know what prompted the initial response of wheat starch from
the manufacturer?  When the average person thinks of starch, they think of
corn starch because it is what we all have in our kitchens for cooking with.
The customer service employee would most likely assume it is corn starch
unless they checked and found out otherwise.  Was it suggested in the phone
conversation that it might be wheat starch by the celiac caller, or did the
manufacturer volunteer this information freely?  Abigail