From:
Deanna M Polakowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:06:30 EDT

I, too, had to jump on this one!  I was hospitalized to have major
surgery.  I told my doctor of my food fears - he said don't worry -
Everyone I could talk to I talked to - every nurse, CNA, dietitian, head
nurse, who came within earshot.  The head nurse thought that I meant that
I could not tolerate sugar (I am a diabetic).  My first real meal was
cream of wheat, a hard bread roll, and fruit.  Luckily, I have had
previous bad experiences in the hospital and had a bag of safe food to
eat.

I am DH and maybe that's where my communication problems come in.  In the
future, I will just say Celiac and maybe someone in the hospital will
know what a Celiac is!

I also set up an appointment with the Nurse Educator Registered Dietitian
of the hospital who was to expand my diabetes diet to make up for the
loss of grains.  The first meeting was me educating her on what gluten
free eating was.  We had to reschedule so she could do her homework.
After she did her homework, she was extremely helpful, and I am now
counting carbs so I can expand my food choices.  To jump on the other
side of the fence, there are dietitians out there who know what GF is.
The new Fitness Coordinator/Registered Dietitian is fully aware of my GF
problem, and she has been instrumental in bringing new foods into my
diet.

Deanna
Chicago, IL  USA
He never said it would be easy,  He only said it would be worth it