From:
Susan Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:48:39 -0400

I wanted to pass along another restaurant I think celiacs would enjoy!

My husband and I drove from San Jose to Union City last Friday night
to "try out" the Texas Roadhouse Restaurant.  I really wanted to
experience a new restaurant, so I did not mind driving in the Friday night
traffic up that way.  My husband went along with my idea of driving up
there because he knows how excited I get when I can try a new restaurant!
I had exchanged e-mails with the owner, Tony Robinson, and he faxed me
their gluten-free menu.

The restaurant is awesome!  It has a great western atmosphere, with
buckets of peanuts in shells at the table to snack on (naturally gluten-
free for a celiac-not great for someone who is allergic to nuts,
though!).  You can eat the peanuts and throw the shells on the floor!  The
staff would sometimes break out into western dancing-so fun to watch!
Their prices for the entrees are very, very reasonable, too!

The waiter was very attentive to my food needs, and Tony even served us
our meal.  I ordered the Smothered Chicken with melted cheese and sauteed
onions and mushrooms on top (anyone could also order the Smothered Chicken
with cream gravy, except for a celiac).  You can choose two sides, so I
ordered the caesar salad with no croutons and a baked sweet potato topped
with marshmallows and caramel sauce on top.  It was unbelievably
delicious!  The caramel sauce is stated as gluten free on their g-f menu.
I cannot tell I am 100% certain that the marshmallow is gluten free, but
all the marshmallows I have seen have been g-f, so I ordered it. The other
sides you could order with your meal are the regular baked potatoes, fresh
vegetables and regular salad.  You cannot order the mashed potatoes or the
beans.  I had brought my own g-f croutons I had made the week before and
sprinkled them on the caesar salad.  When the waiter came by and saw the
croutons, he panicked a bit until he saw my little baggie full of g-f
croutons!

They have steaks (no grill shortening), ribs (no BBQ sauce), fish, country
dinners such as pork chops and chicken, even sandwiches you can order
without the bread (bring your own g-f bread and put in the fixins'
yourself!).  If you choose to order the steaks and ribs, be sure to go
over with the wait staff where on the grill they would be cooked because
I'm sure the gluten containing "grill shortening" and "BBQ sauce" are all
over their grills.

At this point, I am going to add the usual disclaimer that "eating out is
risky."  I just wanted to pass along my experience that I had a wonderful
meal and intend to go back their soon.  Just ask for a copy of their
gluten-free menu when you arrive.  A manager will print it from their
computer in the office.  There is no official "gluten-free menu" available
at their front desk at this particular restaurant.  I am presuming the
more we frequent their restaurant, they may just print some menus and have
them available all the time, but for now, you need to ask them to print
one.

If you would like to dine there, their address is 32115 Union Landing
Boulevard, Union City, CA 94587.  Their phone no. is (510) 324-7623.  Tony
Robinson is the owner and very accommodating.  Enjoy!