From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:14:01 -0600

>Twice in the past 10 months, I've had blood tests and they have come back
>showing parathyroid function is suppressed. My family physician says she
>doesn't know why and none of the other doctors in her practice have any
>ideas either.

I am appending three references and quotes from those articles. Perhaps you
can get your doctor to read them. I think she will conclude that magnesium
supplementation is indicated.

I originally started supplementing magnesium, at Don Wiss' suggestion, to
aid my asthma, but it also appears to be helping with bone
re-mineralization.

>She says its nothing to worry about, but I beg to differ!  Parathyroid
>regulates the level of calcium in the blood, and I was diagnosed with
>osteoporosis last fall, so I think this IS something to worry about!

The researchers I have quoted seem to agree with your perspective.

>Could hypoparathyroidism be associated with CD

yes

> and, if so, how?

Through continued magnesium deficiency, even on the g-f diet.

> What can be done to correct this problem?

I hope I have answered your questions, but you (and others) might be
interested in perusing the articles for your own interpretation of these
reports.

I hope that is helpful.

best wishes,
Ron Hoggan

1. Kumar V, Valeski JE, Wortsman J, "Celiac disease and hypoparathyroidism:
cross-reaction of endomysial antibodies with parathyroid tissue"
_Clin Diagn Lab Immunol_ 1996 Mar;3(2):143-146

 "Thus, reactions of the patient's serum with the parathyroid tissue were
due to endomysial antibodies and were not parathyroid specific as in
patients with idiopathic hypoparathyroidism who did not have coexistent CD.
In conclusion, indirect-immunofluorescence tests on parathyroid tissue
detect not only tissue-specific antibodies but also cross-reactive
antibodies, and this should be taken into consideration when these tests
are performed."

2. Rude RK, Olerich M, "Magnesium deficiency: possible role in osteoporosis
associated with gluten-sensitive enteropathy"
_Osteoporos Int_ 1996;6(6):453-461

"Osteoporosis and magnesium (Mg) deficiency often occur in malabsorption
syndromes such as gluten-sensitive enteropathy (GSE). Mg deficiency is
known to impair parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion and action in humans
and will result in osteopenia and increased skeletal fragility in animal
models."

Then later in the same abstract:

"This study demonstrates that GSE patients have reduction in intracellular
free Mg2+, despite being clinically asymptomatic on a gluten-free diet.
Bone mass also appears to be reduced. Mg therapy resulted in a rise in PTH,
suggesting that the intracellular Mg deficit was impairing PTH secretion in
these patients. The increase in bone density in response to Mg therapy
suggests that Mg depletion may be one factor contributing to osteoporosis
in GSE."

3. Gonzalez D, Mazure R, Mautalen C, Vazquez H, Bai J, "Body composition
and bone mineral density in untreated and treated patients with celiac
disease"
_Bone_ 1995 Feb;16(2):231-234

"The results of this cross-sectional study suggest that osteopenia does not
seem to be completely restored by adequate treatment. Alteration of vitamin
D metabolism was not the cause of osteopenia in the majority of patients."