From:
Anne M Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne M Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:17:22 -0600

If I understand my ophalmalogist correctly, blepharitis usually occurs
with dry eyes and in people with multiple allergies. Washing the eyelids
close to the lash line with warm soap and water daily will keep the
blepharitis under control. (There's an eyelid wash sold over the counter
for this - think Allergan puts it out) I've had blepharitis since I was
18 years old (many years - :o ). When I'm good about washing my eyelids,
I just use a gentle baby shampoo.

Early on, my doc prescribed a specific antibiotic for six weeks (and now
I can't recall the name of it), but it upset my stomach, so I didn't
continue with that. She also prescribed Blephamide eyedrop (I think
that's the correct name), which contains a steroid. That was wonderful
stuff! But, steroid eyedrops can be dangerous and they encourage
cataract formation, so one doesn't want to use them much.

You might try using a preservative-free artificial tear eyedrop several
times during the day and see if the blepharitis gets better. It will
moisten your eye and wash out any pollen or dirt you might be allergic
to.

I wish you good luck...I think if you can get on top of keeping your
lids clean and your eyes moist (even though you might not feel as though
your eyes are dry), you'll see an improvement in eyelash loss.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

I have had blepharitis for many years. The only
thing that works for me (I've never tried any
oral medications--but when I was much younger a
dermatologist used to give me a steroid cream
that worked, but I don't recommend this and will
not longer do this) is using Costco's Kirkland
Baby Wipes 2-3 times a day to thoroughly clean
around your eyes--do this for at least 30
seconds, including your eye brows. Do not touch
your eyes at all with your hands or anything
else--very important. After the wipes let your
eyes dry for a few minutes and this part is
optional but when it is really bad has helped
me--apply a thin coat of gluten-free liquid
vitamin E to the worst areas with a Q-tip.

Take care,
Scott
I started my hair and eyelash loss after having my Pituitary Gland
removed
because of Cushing's Disease ( a small, cortisone producing tumor on the

Pituitary).  I figure I'm missing some hormone that they're not
replacing,
or they aren't giving me a high enough dose of what I do take. Have you
had tests done on your Pituitary, Adrenal, and Thyroid Glands? Just a
suggestion. Susan in Ohio

I don't know if yours is related but have you heard of alopecia? There
are different types. In its most severe, advanced form, the person loses
body hair everywhere. I knew of someone this happened to.

I have read some nutrition contributions to it are lack of omega 3.

I don't know if this has anything to do with you, but a good
dermatologist specializing in hairloss would probably know.

I also know that some hair loss is related to auto immune disorders.
With celiac being so much more prevelent than once thought, it might
prove valuable to get an HLA test for the celiac gene. If you don't have
the gene, you couldn't have celiac. If you do have the gene you don't
necessarily have celiac, but you have to ability to develop it and it
warrents further testing.

In March 2003 I had my first problem with a chalazion (small tumor on
the eyelid, the result of inflammation of a meibomian gland). I was
given prescription medication for it, I forget what and it went away. In
Sept. 2004 I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I had a prescription
medication for it, I forget what. I also had the eyelid drained and a
biopsy taken. The blepharitis came back and I was treated with
prescription medication again. The Dr. told me to do a cleansing scrub
to the eyelid by mixing a very tiny amt. (a drop or two of baby shampoo
with warm water) and dipping a Q-tip into mixture and scrub the eyelid
gently where it meets with the eyelashes. Then take a Q-tip dipped in
warm water and do the same. I then just splash some warm water in that
area to make sure I got it rinsed well. I also do the other eye, but
make sure I use a clean Q-tip and only tip Q-tip once and then discard
it so there is no danger of cross-contamination. I do the other eye also
as a preventive measure. When I had blepharitis I was doing this daily
per DR's. instructions. Now I just do weekly as a preventive measure. I
haven't had a problem with blepharitis for almost a year. No problem
with the chalazion either. My eyelashes aren't falling out, but are
thin. My eyebrows are scanty also. When I was 5 years old I pulled all
my eyebrows out because they were itching. I don't know if this is why
they're scanty now. I don't know if the itching eyebrows had anything to
do with celiac disease or not. I wasn't diagnosed until I was almost 52
(in 2001).

Celiac glad to be diagnosed,
Selma