From:
Michael Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:17:14 -0700

Hi List,

I just saw the beer summary, where it was stated that half of the 30 responders said they drink beer on occasion, and do not have problems. This is very odd to me. Not that some celiacs drink beer, but that they think that it would not have gluten. Unless it is some exotic rice beer or some other specialty product, the main ingredient in beer is malted barley. Malted just means that the barley grains are sprouted, before being mixed with water, sugar, and hops to start the main fermentation. I have not heard any authority say that barley does not contain gluten. Some beers also contain wheat. The process of beer making will not remove the gluten, as there is no distillation involved.

Wine and distilled alcoholic drinks such as rum and vodka and many gins should be a better bet as far as gluten is concerned.

Michael