From:
Ken and Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:26:07 -0700

I originally asked if anyone knew if you can use fresh milk in place of dry
milk in GF bread.  From the posts I received, only 1 person said she had
actually used fresh milk instead of dry. I haven't tried it myself yet, but
I'll let you know what happens when I do.  Here excerpts from the replies
(Thanks to all who responded!):

I use fresh milk instead of dry milk frequently and several times when I did
not have enough fresh milk, I used buttermilk.  I was not sure that it would
be the same so I added some dry milk powder also...just not as much as the
recipe called for.

We use the Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite sandwich bread mix and use milk
instead of water.  It always comes out moist and delicious.  ( We also use
butter instead of oil)  (Note from Caroline:  I think this mix contains dry
milk.  Others have recommended to me before to use milk instead of water
with this mix.)

Using dry milk adds more protein to the bread.

Yes you can - I remember in my original bread making (non-gf) that the book
said you could do this, just reduce the amount of water by the amount of
milk you added.  You need to know how much milk is made from the amount you
added dry though and work that out.  I just find powdered milk is cheaper to
use than regular.

(This is regarding my questions about a recipe for GF buttermilk bread:)
YES, Bette Hagman's bread book has a buttermilk bread in it - I got dry
buttermilk powder from Ener-G.  The powder is made by Darigold, and I now
know you can buy it at the grocery store.

Yes, I would think it would work if you simply replace the water w/the fresh
milk.  For the buttermilk, you could replace the milk powder with buttermilk
powder.

Often recipes calling for milk in bread call for scalding it first-
perhaps to kill any microorganisms that might interfere with the yeast.
Of course, you would have to adjust the liquid accordingly, too.

I don't know the answer to your question. I just know that they try to make
all gf breads, etc., high protein.

-- Caroline in Kirkland,WA USA