From:
Bobbi Chukran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:50:53 -0600

Hi group--
This is just my second posting, and I have a few questions.  I've been
battling some kind of illness off and on for the past 8 or so years.  The
diagnosed part of it is fibromyalgia, which I finally decided was caused by
MAJOR allergies--both pollen and foods (some wheat), but mainly molds.
This is the diagnosed part.  Because of a string of either incompetent or
uninformed doctors, I have finally got myself out of bed and have started
getting better by avoiding the doctors and through self-care--mainly trying
to watch what I eat, avoiding moldy places, and taking LOTS of vitamins,
essential fats, and amino acids.

I still have some lingering, strange symptoms that I can't seem to deal
with--a very stiff back after eating eggs or other allergens, occasional
bloody stools (not caused by hemmorhoids), large weight gain after eating
hardly anything at all, and the inability to lose the weight.

The only doctor (a holistic MD) I went to that actually helped has moved
clear across town, and it's impossible for me to get there to see him.  His
theory was that all problems started in the small intestine, and that was
probably the root of my symptoms.  I've tried his treatments, and they
helped, but I'm wondering if I should be worried about the other symptoms.
He didn't want to do testing, etc.--didn't really believe in it.  I did
have some testing done about 15 years ago that confirmed
diverticulosis--but I thought that was cleared up--maybe not.

My questions, I guess, are:  Are food and pollen allergies usually a
cause/effect of celiac disease?  Is bleeding sometimes a symptom that
occurs with this?  And what is the standard treatment for celiac disease?
Avoidance, nutritional therapy, or what?

Also, I'm not trying to be rude, but I have so many problems with
commercial foods that I would never eat some of the things that have been
asked about on the list--commercial french frys, frozen foods, candies with
lots of artificial dyes, etc.  I'm just wondering if avoiding these things
help celiac symptoms?  Or does it matter?  And does eating foods that you
are allergic to cause further damage to the intestinal lining?

I guess that's enough for now--I would sure appreciate some answers.  I
tend to believe that I do have either celiac disease itself, or at least
some damage.  Even if I could find a doctor around here that was
knowledgeable enough, where would I start?

Bobbi in TX