From:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:57:35 -0500

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with celiac earlier this year and recognize symptoms in my
father that I believe to be celiac related.  Dad has had a problem with
anxiety all of his life (one of my main symptoms before going gf). He also
has had intestinal problems.  I am trying to convince him to at least get a
blood test to see if celiac is a possibility.  Here's the whole story...

Dad's best friend died 3 years ago, then his only brother died 2 years
ago and things have been going downhill since.  Dad (age 56) was
diagnosed with breast cancer about 6 months after his brother died.
(Yes, men get breast cancer too!)  He then began to suffer from
depression.  The cancer was localized, but he chose a double mastectomy.
The depression got worse.  Later that s ame year he was diagnosed with
prostate cancer, which was again localized.  He had seeds implanted and
radiation therapy.  His depression and anxiety are worse than ever.  It
is more than six months since his treatment and in most cancer cases
similar to his, the patient should be getting back to his old self by
now.  (My sister is an MD and has confirmed this).  I understand that
with every disease, each person's recovery is different, but I think
that there is a strong possibility that celiac sprue may be hampering him.

1.  Dad's bathroom problems are worse - possibly to be expected for someone
recovering from prostate cancer.  He tells me he has also developed
hemorroids and blood in his stool.

2.  Dad's anxiety is worse.  He craves carbohydrates (like I did before
going gf) and seems to eat more pizza and bagels than pre-cancer. Perhaps
just comfort food for him, perhaps celiac?

3.  In the past two years, Dad has developed tremendous back pain, which
the doctors could not explain so they call it arthritis.  Arthritis
medications don't seem to help him.

4.  Dad has problems with acne, not a dh like rash, but little pimples
(which I had until changing skin care products that had substances to which
I had an intolerance due to leaky gut)

5.  Finally, and most concerning to me, Dad has no energy.  He was very
active a few years ago (he was a runner) and now cannot spend much time out
of the house.  It seems as if he has developed symptoms similar to what
little I know about chronic fatigue.

Finally my questions...(I'm sorry to be so long winded, but I'm hoping
there is something in this long explanation that might allow someone to
help me)  I know that there is a connection between trauma and the onset
of severe symptoms of celiac.  Have there been specific studies in this
area rela ted to mental anguish that I can show my father?  I also think
that there is a snowball and circular effect here. I think the cancer
came on partially due to the trauma AND celiac. Are there any studies
that show a cancer relationship that is not specifically a lymphoma
connection?  Are there any studies that show people with untreated
celiac having a slower cancer recovery time?  Any other studies you can
point me to that will help my Dad understand that he needs to undergo
testing would be very helpful.

Thank you all for your time.

Melissa
in New Hampshire