From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:54:29 -0600

Some research and anecdotal evidence indicates a gluten-free diet will
be beneficial to some autistic children in seeing improvement in bowel
functions and behavior.

Autism Resource: The Autism Network for Dietary Intervention publishes a
newsletter. Send $20 for 4-issue newsletter to ANDI, P.O. Box 17711,
Rochester, NY 14617-0700. Their web page is located at
www.AutismNDI.com.  The issue I have was sponsored by Miss Robens, known
well for gluten-free foods and mixes.

The ANDI newsletter is written by the women who published the Special
Diets for Special Kids ($24.95). This book has lots of recipes and
ideas.

One theory this organization espouses is that gluten & casein in autism
may not be properly metabolized and result in excess peptides which can
be confirmed through a urine test by Shaw's lab. The excess peptides
then interfere with the normal brain functioning by producing excess
opiads/opiates, which explains why the kids can be desensitized to pain,
live in a daze, have difficulty concentrating & staying on task, etc.
The other theory is that the immune system overreacts to these peptides
and goes into overdrive.

One of our members said "My autistic=92s son's ear infections vanished
when we took him off of milk. He has been gluten free for the last three
months and we have seen the dark circles under his eyes lighten up,
cognitive gains, and better focus. It does take several months for the
body to process out and recover. They recommend staying on the GF/CF
diet a year to see full benefits. The celiac gluten free information is
so helpful and I am so appreciative of all you've done and shared.

There is a new listserv started for families with an autistic member who
are doing the GF/CF diets. It is: http://www.onelist.com,  and the name
of the list is GFCF Kids. It's just a little over a month old now."

Janet, Houston Celiac-Sprue Support Group
Celiacs Helping Celiacs