From:
Susan Lahti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 21:29:26 -0700

Hi,
My name is Susan.  I have a son who is 10 and has had numerous and lifelong
GI problems.  His symptoms include diarrhea for the first 4 years of his
life, irritable bowel after that and finally constipation and incontinence.

He also has frequent vomiting, migraines, lots of abdominal distension and
complaints of pain.  However he is not undernourished and appears healthy.

Therefore I have always been told that his small intestines are working
properly and the problem is with his large intestine.  When he has had a
colonscope the only abnormal finding was lymphoid hyperplasia throughout his
large intestine.  The way they explained it to me is that his large
intestine is smooth with little nodules. But I have been told not to be
concerned about it because it is a histological response and not a symptom
of disease.  I read about celiacs someplace and asked his doctor if we
should test for it.  So we had a specimen sent to one of the labs you guys
have mentioned (thank you for your help) and are waiting for the results.

So here are a couple of questions.

Has anyone else on this list ever had lymphoid hyperplasia in their small or
large intestine or this completely unrelated to celiac?

Has anyone ever heard of incontinence being related to a gluten intolerance?

If I understand his system he has periods where his whole system just stops
and other times when food is racing through him.

Lastly are there any lists of foods in fast food restuarants that are
gluten-free?

I hope someone will be willing to share.

Susan