From:
Reesa Zuber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 13:45:58 -0700

Here is a summary of responses to working and living on the road
with celiac disease.  I just returned after 2 days out of town.
I am doing very well on my many travels.  But being away from
home for extended periods of time could create challenges.  The
request for this information was many so here are the responses.
Thanks to everyone.  RZ

*******

I do not travel as part of a job, but we frequently vacation for three weeks
at a time.  I think that there is no reason that you could not cope if you
are not ultra sensitive to wheat.  Do you get diarrhea if a knife is used to
cut your meat that has been used to cut something that has a flour coating on
it?  I am not that sensitive so I have no problems.

*******

My brother-in-law travels pretty frequently for his job...  He told me the
best way to handle a GF lifestyle on the road is to:

a) bring your own food - rice cakes, corn cakes, baked goods and cereals from
   home in individual serving sizes and,

b) order VERY simple foods in restaurants - boiled eggs, baked potatoes,
   steak, things like that - avoid sauces!

It's possible, but it's work...  =)

*******

I travel for conferences, research meetings, and on rare occasions, vacation.
:-) My biggest problem is keeping on muscle mass.  I lose it far too easily.
When I travel, I always bring a supply of whey protein, unflavored.  It
really has no tast, dissolves in water easily, and comes in at 26 grams of
protein per scoop.  So, my biggest dietary concern handled, I just forage for
whatever else fits the diet.  Sometimes you end up with a salad and a scoop
of whey, but at least you have eaten something.

Fortunately, the goal of travel is generally the locale, not the food.

*******

I travel quite a bit for my job, and it means a lot of research!  Typicaly I
go to the same few cities so I've developed a list of where I can eat, what
places are willing to work around our restrictions.  I always take with me a
supply of staples - bread, snacks, etc.  If it's a city I can drive to, I
have a small cooler with supplies as well.

Some hotels chains like Hilton Garden Inn have microwaves and fridges in the
rooms.  Makes a big difference - worth doing reseach there too.

*******

Hi, I don't travel alot, but work as a clinical dietitian.  Traveling can be
done with careful planning.  You would plan ahead how many meals you need and
make a list of known GF foods you like that would travel well.  I carry GF
bread, jelly and peanut butter alos rice cakes and fruits a alrge variety.
They don't require refigeration, but the bread last better in a cooler, also
you can freeze it and use a little at a time.  Zip loc freezer bags with left
overs that don't need to be eated are great, also many hotels are very
accomodatiing.  Some have let me use a refigerator free of charge when I
explain the reason.  The bottom line is planning ahead and doing it
consistently.

*******

I know what I can eat,and I stick to those items.  In diners, for example, I
will often order omelettes because they are cooked in a pan and thus you
resude the possiblity of contamination.

Health food stores are your friend!  Many carry gf products.

I have a soft sided cooler in my car at all times.  I bought it in CostCoo
for all of eighteen dollars and it keeps things cold...or hot for a day.  I
bring organic eggs, nuts and whatever in that.

*******

I attended the CSA convention in October.  I met someone who travels for
work.  What she does is have prepared GF foods sent directly to the hotel
where she will be staying when she will be there for a number of days.  You
could try Menu Direct for a start.

When I travel for business and pleasure, I generally carry my own cereal-I've
found Nature's Path GF corn flakes in individual boxes, peanut butter and
some Tamarind Tree foods.  I don't love Indian, but they are mild, in a
vacuum sealed package that needs no refrigeration and are easy to pack.
Notify the hotel that you need access to a microwave and you are set.

*******

Stay at places with mini-fridges and microwaves.  Bring your own cereal and
buy milk, fruit, veggies there.  Bring an immersion heater (or use the
microwave) to heat water for instant cuppa soups.  Bake potatoes in the
microwave - top with safe low-fat dressing or cheese.  Make your own trail
mix for snacking.

*******

I was a dental sales rep for 8 states in the east.  The only problem I had
was taking clients out or having to explain my diet to others.  It was really
hard during big dinner parties.  i ended up quitting because I could not
stand eating out anymore.  Although I was just diagnosed then.

*******

Hi!  I travel about 2 weeks a month right now.  I have had that schedule for
about 1 year now.  Prior to that, for 4 years I traveled 3 1/2 weeks a month.

I was diagnosed with CD 15 years ago.

I, like it sound like you do, never let this little challenge keep my from
travelling.

I stick to chain restaurants, travel with two slice packages of tapioca or
white rice bread from Energfoods, and bring dried fruit with me.

I have forced airlines (specifically United) to serve me a GF meal.  They
have completely changed their meal service primarily due to complaints that I
filed all the way up to the CEO.  Air Canada is my primary carrier, and I
also fly Delta, Alaska and Air New Zealand.  Not many problems with any of
them to note (I really do not care if someone by mistake puts sealed crackers
on my plate if everything else is GF - mistakes happen), and I know most of
the meals off by heart so I know if I am receiving the correct one.  I will
not travel on American or Northwest, as I have had sever food poisoning from
eating a GF meal on them (required hospitalization on both cases).

*******

--
Reesa Zuber
Yakima, WA  US