From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:51:19 EST

I always felt with oats, it is not the manufacturer where the oats are
contaminated, but everywhere from the farm to the manufacturer.  When I was
young on a farm, the silos and grain storage areas were not used only for one
type of grain, but were used for many, depending on what was being grown.
The machinery used to harvest the grains were also used for many different
types of grains.  Trucks taken the grains to the grainery where they were
loaded on trains, were also used for different crops. When we trucked it to
the grainery, some of the same equipment and shoots were used to unload the
trucks.  Now I may be talking about times past, and perhaps things are done
differently today, but I think on the individual farms, grains get
intermingled, especially on small farms where farmers share harvesting
equipment.  For you modern farmers out there, is it still done that way?
Perhaps we could all benefit from learning how things are done today.
Thanks, Carol