From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 13:40:40 -0400

Janet Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I feel
>obliged to point out that caramel colour is allowed in Canada provided that
>the product has not originated in Europe.  Caramel colour in Great Britain
>and other European countries is not gf.  In fact, the Canadian Celiac
>Association published this info some time ago, perhaps before Karen was
>following the gf diet.  A second exception in Canada is the caramel colour
>used by the Quaker company to make their caramel rice cakes.  I have had a
>letter from Quaker which states that these rice cakes are not gf.

Huh? So you're saying all caramel color made in Canada is okay with the
exception of one company? Why only them?

While I don't know Canadian laws, I do have some information on American
ones, as caramel color has a standard of identity here. This is excerpted
from Ener-G Food's "Detailed Ingredients Listing":

Caramel Color
  The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten
  depending on how it is manufactured. In the U.S.A. caramel color must
  conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute
  says- The color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material
  resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following
  food grade carbohydrates:
        Dextrose (corn sugar)
        Invert sugar
        Lactose (milk sugar)
        Malt syrup (usually from barley malt)
        Molasses (from cane)
        Starch Hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat)
        Sucrose (cane or beet)
  (Also acids, alkalis and salts are listed which may be employed to assist
  caramelization)

So it depends...

Don Wiss.