From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 04:11:25 -0500

Hi All,

In reading the posts about how to prepare for an emergency, my daughter
found these excellent sites.
Go to this site sponsored by the Red Cross and it gives a fairly complete
list of things that one should have for an emergency, whether it is war,
flood, fire or whatever might come up.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/beprepared/supplies.html

This next address at the Federal Emergency Management Agency has a complete
list of what to do, what some of the scenarios might be and how to handle
them.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready/security.pdf

When one reads the list of supplies of food that they recommend, it seems
that we can all come up with many of these items by just checking our food
cabinets and finding things we use regularly.  Canned fruits and vegetables
(I usually buy fresh and frozen so I should go shopping) and dry goods,
might be a good start.  Nutritious things that don't have to be cooked are
the best bet because one of the first things to go might be our
electricity.  Although I have a gas stove, it is triggered electrically.
With the possibility of two feet of snow here in NJ today, this might happen
without any threat of war, and I hope I am well prepared for this.  When we
lived in upstate New York, it was just a daily occurrence in the winter and
the towns were well prepared for deep snow.