From:
Steve Veach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 22:20:27 -0600

I would like to pass along a recomendation to everyone that has not yet
had a bone density test to have one, if you suspect you have had CD for
some time.

I insisted on having this test (it wasn't inexpensive) even though my
doctor said I would probably be normal.  Well guess what.  He was
wrong.  I was quite below normal (71% spinal).  He said something like
"boy it was a good idea that we did this test...I mean that you wanted
to do it, actually".

My doctor is a very good Gastroenterologist, very thorough, and is one
of the most considerate and encouraging doctors I have used--he just
doesn't know that much about CD.

Please be insistent when you know you are right.

The test I took supposedly is highly accurate and is called bone
densitometry.  They pass a scanning X Ray machine over your body and
measure your spine and I believe part of your hip also.  They then
compare your bone density against known standards for your age.
--
Steve Veach in Chicago, Illinois USA