From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:20:58 -0500

The following is from Laura Johnson-Kelley, who gave me the recipes for
fruit cake and pie crust.  Some people have asked about the gluten-free
status of candied fruit.  As I avoid sugars, I didn't know, so I went back
to the source, and here is her reply.

>I'm afraid that I've fallen off the list, so I can't send anything directly
>to them.  Some dried and candied fruit lists wheat on the label, but most
>don't--and by the way they stick together, I'd doubt anything has been put
>on them (but of course we should check this out more thoroughly).  Most of
>the chopped dates have gone over from oat flour to powdered sugar in recent
>years as an anti-caking ingredient.

I know there has been some concern about flour being added to powdered
sugar in the past, so you're on your own.  I do recall suggestions that one
could make one's own powdered sugar with a food processor - but that's not
the issue here.

Happy eating.  Gayle K