From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 19:38:07 -0500

Some time ago I put out a query regarding stomach anti-acids (like
Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac and the like...not antacids like Tums or
Rolaids) causing stomach spasming and the possible associated missed
heartbeats, or PVCs (pre ventricular contractions). I got back varying
can have a tendency to cause the stomach to spasm and thus to impinge on
the heart and cause it to miss a beat. That "thump" you feel is the
"catch up" beat with extra accumulated blood volume to be sent out.

<< Watch the Propulsid, I think that's the one. That has caused some
people's hearts to stop. I posted a warning on that a couple years ago
and one man posted me saying that that actually had happened to him
while taking it.>>

Prilosec stopped my heart and I had to get off it.

<<My stomach has been gurgling and making noises, and
I don't believe I had this before the  Prevacid.>>

<<I tried everything and am now on Axid which is g/f and lactose free.
At last, something helps. It took about 3 weeks to see any results but
no spasms.>>

<<In my experience, Prevacid stops my esophageal spasms. I have had no
problems with stomach spasms while using it.>>

<<I use Propulsid to stop stomach spasms caused by Gastroparesis. It has
worked where nothing else would. It works by stimulating stomach
nerves/hormones/muscles to start mulching when I eat. Without it I am
extremely ill - extreme upper abdominal pain, nausea, violent vomiting,
and other problems such as not being able to stay upright, not able to
talk because of breathlessness from the pain.>>

<<How long did you take Prilosec for when you had stomach spasms. I have
been taking it for the last 4 years, when I was diagnosed with Celiac, I
also have GERD and can't live without the Prilosec. I've tried Zantac,
not powerful enough for me. >>

<<My husband has been on Prilosec for a couple of months with no adverse
effects. He was previously on Propulsid for over a year along with
Prevacid and sucralfate for the same length of time with no adverse
effects. >>

<<One of my first problems that sent me to the Dr. to begin with was
heartburn and a feeling that I have a lump in my throat. It gets so bad
that it sometimes cuts off my air supply. My Dr. says that it is from
spasms in my stomach. I am on Prilosec and It feels the same weather I'm
on it or not. Stress can also bring them on.>>

<<I went to a gastro doc who tried everything. The only thing that
helped me was Axid. I have a friend on the list who has had very bad
stomach problems and the Axid is helping her. You might want to try it.
I think that it is in the same group as Pepcid but I had that, too, and
it didn't help. When I have really bad stomach pain and/or diahhrea, the
only thing that I use is good old Pepto Bismol. >>

So, while some have stomach spasms brought on by the proton pump
inhibitor- type anti-acids, most have acid reflux problems so badly that
they need to take them anyway. In many instances, the acid reflux causes
spasms itself. It the medicine-induced spasms get so bad that they
irritate your heart into stopping, you need to talk to your doctor. The
stomach and esophagus lie next to and around your heart, so when they
spasm, so does it. My doctor says taking an anti-acid for the known
dangers of acid-reflu x , Barrett's esophagus, and esophageal cancer
(the fastest increasing type of cancer in the U.S.) outweigh the
somewhat innocuous problems of the heart PVCs. However, heart stoppage
is another matter. So I had to go off Prilosec and Prevacid because they
drove my heart crazy. Now I take BD of a Zantac 75 BD hour before each
meal and that is a good compromise between just enough medicine and not
enough to spasm the stomach. It is little inconvenient always taking a
little BD pill all the time, but the 24 hour ones (Prilosec and
Prevacid) stopped my heart. So far, so good on the Zantac. My Dr.
prescribes as the generic rinitadine and so I can get it in volume from
my health plan at vast savings over the commercial Zantac.

Hope this helps.

Jere Cordell