From:
Marcy Thorner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:22:35 EST

Hi!

Sicne i learned how to cook several decades ago, I've been using the
following cornbread recipe, which came to my family from a friend some 50
years ago.  It adapts perfectly for GF and is great for stuffing.  The
cornbread is almost a cake kind of texture, so moist you won't want butter on
it.  The stuffing is rich and heavy -- nonceliacs rave about it too!

Aunt Natalie's Cornbread

Preheat oven to 350; grease & flour a 9 x 13 pan.

In mixer on medium speed, cream together
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar

Add, mixing at medium to low (for flour) speed:

4 eggs, one at a time
1 16 oz. can GF creamed corn
1 c. GF flour (I use Bette Hagman's regular)
1 c. cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Stir in:

1 c. shredded cheddar (I use 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 monterray jack, or all jack)
1 small can whole corn (optional).

REDUCE OVEN TEMP TO 300!!! VERY IMPORTANT!

Pour batter into pan, bake 1 hour until toothpick inserted in center comes
out clean.

Note:  If you want to cute the recipe in half, use an 8 x 8" square pan.
Cut when completely cooled.  Freezes well, though it gets rather crumbly.

Cornbread Stuffing

For a 14 lb bird:

Make 1 recipe of the cornbread, above.  Cut into 1" cubes, spread in a single
layer on 1-2 cookies sheets.  Place in 350 oven for 10-15 minutes until
slightly toasted, turning once.  Let cool.

Meanwhile:

In large frying pan, saute over medium heat until sausage is cooked and
veggies soft:

1 lb pork or turkey sausage
2 large yellow onions cut in 1/2" pieces
4 stalks of celery cut in 1/2" pieces
Let cool.

Add above to toasted cornbread.  Add 1 can GF chicken broth, 2 packages of
dried cherries (my mom uses dried cranberries, which are a little more tart),
and seasonings (I use about 1 Tablespoon salt and 2-3 Tablespoons ground sage
and 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning, plus white and black pepper, but we
like it with a fair amount of "zing").  Mix well, stuff bird.  There will be
enough to bake some on the side in a casserole dish.  (Make 1-1/2 recipes of
the cornbread and adjust other ingredients if you're making a 20+ lb bird).

Bon appetit!

Marcy in MD