From:
Kev and Pat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:29:54 -0500

HI to all,

Here is my question followed by your responses.....thankyou to all those
who responded.

Pat in NH

> I can only eat "white" rice.  Do you know of any brands (and where I
> could get them) of gf rice pasta that only read with the ingredients:
> white rice?  I would love for it to be organic, but my main concern is
> that the pasta doesn't have any "brown" rice in it.  I have a pasta that
> has white rice in it, but it also has rice bran in it.......I am
> reluctant to eat this because I am not sure if I tolerate the
> bran.....and I really don't want to find out by getting sick.

I can't be certain, but I believe Ener-G pasta is white rice unless it
states "brown"  I only have the lasagna in the house and it just says
rice and water.  They state brown rice if it is brown rice, but check
with them.

Otherwise oriental pastas are white.

The product that I use is Thai Kitchen 'Rice Stick Noodles'
ingredients:  Rice Flour, Water, Salt

   (it also says 'gluten free' in the narrative on the back of the box)
http://www.thaikitchen.com

Go to an ORiental supermarket. They have all kinds of white rice
spaghetti, noodles and flat noodles. They are very cheap so go and stock
up if you have to drive a distance.

One option may be to look for Asian style Rice vermicelli (fine noodles)
-- Annie Chun's and Taste of Thai are GF.

Visit your local Asian food market and look for rice pasta.  Only
ingredients that I know of are white rice.  You'll have quite a variety
to choose from.  Cost should be around $1.00 /lb.  Have fun.  While
you're there you might find some bargains on Potato Starch, Tapioca
Starch and Corn Starch.  You'll also find "Glutinous Rice Flour" which
is used to thicken gravies but won't clump up in sauces that have been
frozen.  This "gluten" is acceptable and different than the Gluten we
can't have.  (It refers to the sticky quality of this rice flour.) You
can also mix equal quantities of Glutinous rice flour and Butter and
freeze in  individual Tablespoon servings and use them, as needed, to
thicken sauces.

Below is listed my favorite noodle.  I even eat them straight from the
box these days.

I live in Florida but I order these and all my bulk GF flours from
Washington State.  Less than $15 for over a 100 pounds I some times
order. http://www.ener-g.com White Rice Macaroni Free of: Wheat, gluten,
dairy, egg, corn, soy, sugar, yeast, salt Ingredients: White rice flour, water

I order these by the case, not because of bran limitation, but because
they are the best.

And with white rice flour only.

Hope this help, Also, unlike the wheat pastas, you can cook a bunch of
them and reheat in microwave, without any difference.

Here is the URL:
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/
ProductDisplay?prmenbr=26081&prrfnbr=27233

I'm sure those white rice oriental noodles are made from refined rice.

I could be wrong about your case, but as a general
rule consumption of white rice can elevate blood
sugar because it is a refined grain.  Brown rice
pastas or white rice pastas with bran added should
be safe and much more nutritious.

Try it for one meal and see what happens.  I can eat
it without any problems.

I buy rice noodles at Asian markets.  There are two kinds: those that
are dried and those that are moist and sold in refrigerated section.
They seem to be white rice only - I have a problem with brown rice also.

try any asian food market.

***********************************

I eat only white rice pasta, also, although that's mostly because I much
prefer it to any other kind.  The brand I like best is Ener-G,
especially the White Rice Vermicelli, which is like angel hair pasta.  I
actually like it so much that I order it by the case through the
company's web site-- it's less expensive that way.

I find a nice selection at the oriental market. The price there is
excellent. As for taste....to me any ricw pasta has little taste...it's
the sauce that brings in the flavor.  I do like the texture of the
oriental rice pasta, tho.

Ener-G foods makes white rice pasta.  They sell their products direct by
mail order over the phone or via their website, and many health food
stores carry their products or will order them for you.

I would try oriental grocery stores. I belive that cellophane noodles
and rice noodles are made only from white rice (although I am not sure
about this). You may also want to try Thai kitchen products.

I too cannot tolerate the brown rice although I'm better than I used
to be.  My absolute favorite pasta which I have recently discovered is
Tinkyada.  I purchased it at a Whole Foods Market in the San Diego area.
I have also seen it at the Wild Oat's in Bend OR.  The other health food
store Henry's may special order it, if they don't carry it.  Any how,
all of the above are owned by Wild Oat's.  The gluten free pantry on
line carries the brown rice pasta by Tinkyada.  I don't know where you
can order the white rice tinkyada on line.  Hopefully you have access to
one of the above mentioned stores in your area.  If not it may be worth
it to you to have someone buy them in their area and ship to you since
pasta is basically non-perishable.  This pasta tastes closest to "real"
pasta to me.  I'm Italian so giving up good old seminola flour pasta for
me was extremely difficult.  I eat pasta several times per week.

I think EnerG foods in Seattle make a white rice pasta, and I would send
you a box if you want me to.  I had bought some for my teen-age daughter
and we don'dt end up cooking it as often as I thought we would.

he Gluten Free Trading Company lists Ener-G Rice Cannelloni in their
catalog and the only ingredient is rice flour and water. They have lots
of other pasta that might be good also. Call 1888-993-9933.