Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 19:52:47 -0700

I got some good/bad? news today.  I was told about 3 weeks ago by my
endocrinologist that he thought I had celiac disease because of a low
calcium/hyperparathroidism.  I had no intestinal symptoms.
The blood tests for celiac came back normal.  I went gf about 3 weeks ago
and both tests came back today in the normal range!  The parathyroid
hormones were very high and came back 29 points lower than the other 2
tests since being gluten free for only 3 weeks.  The calcium levels are
still on the very low side of normal.  The bad news is I guess I have to
give up my beloved good bread.  That was one of my favorite foods.  And
good pasta.

I have a question about vanilla.  Pure vanilla.  I have been eating this in
the form of a few things.  One is in Meringue "cookies" .  They are only
made with egg whites, sugar and pure vanilla.  I have read several comments
on vanilla and wonder what the consensous is on consuming it.  Since I do
not have intestinal symptoms it is hard for me to tell if I am consuming
anything with gluten.  I read a message once here that said that after
distilling etc. all the gluten was burned off of alcohol.  I would love to
get some opinions on all of this.  Thanks, Kathy