From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Lipton Margarines and Spreads:  TCCSSG member Dan Powell passes along
some updated information he received from Lipton:  "All of our
margarines and spreads are gluten-free.  Lipton manufactures the
following brands:

   Brummel & Brown
   I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
   Imperial
   Mrs. Filbert's
   Promise
   Shedd's

"Because products are formulated for use by a majority of consumers
and not specifically for those on restricted diets....our product
formulations may change at any time....more products/varieties may
have been added....changes in existing products may have occurred.
Therefore, we suggest reading all ingredient labels carefully."

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Benecol Products:  TCCSSG member Diane Chadwell recently contacted
Benecol and shared with us what she learned.  Diane wrote:  "Benecol
is a 'margarine' spread that actually helps reduce one's cholesterol
[but only in conjunction with a low-cholesterol, low-fat diet--Dorothy
Vaughan, our group's dietitian advisor].  The 'regular' spread is
quite tasty, but I don't like the 'light' version (doesn't melt well
or taste as good).  However, both are gluten-free (GF).

"Additionally, they now have other products.  I know ALL of their
dressings are GF because I called last week to check since this is new
in my grocery store.  I believe they make bars also, but these are NOT
GF."

For more information, send e-mail to <[log in to unmask]>
or call 888-BENECOL.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

GF Summer Camp in Washington State:  The Gluten Intolerance Group of
North America will go to camp at the same time as the American
Diabetic Association, July 5-10 and 11-14, 2000.  This offers our
children with both celiac disease and diabetes a chance to have a
summer camp experience with all the support staff possible.  These
sessions will fill fast.  Camp brochures will be available later this
month.  If you would like information, please send e-mail to
<[log in to unmask]>; write to GIG of NA, 15110 10th Ave.  SW, Suite A,
Seattle, WA 98166-1820; call 206-246-6652; or fax 206-246-6531 (fax).
GIG will also have some scholarships available; they are currently
working on funding to help cover the airfare for some of the
children.<1>