From:
Leanne Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:11:36 MST

I just have to say that the causes of coronary artery disease
(atherosclerosis) are multifactorial and are most likely not associated with
celiac disease. The factor which may cause the initial damage to the
endothelial wall has not been identified but it has been hypothesized that
glucose or insulin may be involved. There is no evidence that I am aware to
link gliadins with plaque formation.

If gliadins were indeed solely responsible for the development of
atherosclerotic plaques it would be likely that Celiacs who have been on a
strict gluten free diet since they were babies would be completey plaque
free and would have no risk of myocardial infarction. This is not very likely.

I have noticed that a lot of people are trying to link Celiac disease with
any and every disease. Although I am aware of certain connections, not every
disease is linked to Celiac disease. Sometimes we are just unfortunate
enough to have two or more completely unrelated conditions.

Anyway I just wanted to put my 2 cents in to use a cliche. I hope no one
takes this the wrong way.

Leanne Wenzel
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Alberta