From:
Corwin Grey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Corwin Grey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:39:39 -0800

http://www.lonelyplate.org

This is a forward from our local GiG group facilitator:

Dear Celiac Support Group Leaders,

To introduce myself, up until a year and a half ago, I was News Coverage Manager at CNN's Washington Bureau where beyond my daily news responsibilities I produced many stories on food allergies with chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, which won us a number of journalism awards. You can find online some of the TV transcripts and CNN.com articles I wrote on the subject. I became interested in the subject after my daughter was diagnosed with multiple food allergies (including wheat, peanuts, fish, and more).

I'm writing you as I’ve launched a website where individuals dealing with food allergies and Celiac can write reviews about restaurants they visit. There are fantastic online resources reviewing restaurants and hotels, (Tripadvisor, Yelp, VirtualTourist, etc.) but because I couldn’t find any that consolidated our unique experiences in an easy, interactive, national platform, I decided to create an interactive database where we can review restaurants, hotels, airlines, and kid-friendly venues. Wouldn’t it be great to give a shout out to a place that did a great job helping you have a safe meal, or warn others of a place to stay away from at all cost?

The web address is www.lonelyplate.org. Please check it out and tell me what you think. This kind of information-sharing is crucial not only to keep each other safe but also can be a message to restaurants that we are a consumer community worth catering to.

Among the Washington, D.C. food allergy support group members, we have been exchanging this kind of information for years (as I know many of you do in your locales), but we never shared this information with families in other cities and countries, something I aim to accomplish which will help when planning a trip.

Looking forward to hearing from you. I’d appreciate it if you could distribute this email to your group members. As well, for those of you with websites, I’d appreciate if you could post an entry on your message boards alerting your readers to the web address.

Best wishes,
Sharona Schwartz

*******
*******