From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:10:23 EST

In a message dated 2/12/02 11:05:24 PM, monica barton <[log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Can I get a general consensus from anyone who has had psychiatric
symptoms with celiac and what going gluten free has done for them? >>

The only thing I can tell you is that I suffered from a 13 year history of
severe and poorly controlled bipolar disorder, even on a score of different
medications. About 4 1/2 years ago I got away from my vegetarian eating and
started on a low carbohydrate type diet, which of course cut out virtually
all grains. Over the ensuing year I began to realize that many of my former
intestinal and psychiatric symptoms began clearing up. Cheating would bring
on symptoms again, along with the blisters of DH. Finally some 6 months ago I
was diagnosed with Celiac disease. It has now been close to 3 years since I
took my last dose of any psychiatric medication, or had a single bipolar
episode.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY