From:
Vicki McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 10:48:02 -0700

Whew!  A lot of other people needed a bacon refresher course too!  I knew
that Oscar Meyer bacon was gf, but was hoping for some of the less expensive
brands to turn up.  Several people didn't indicate the source of their info,
but here's the sizzling summary:

Oscar Meyer bacon including low sodium bacon
Oscar Meyer real bacon pieces
Oscar Meyer Ham slice, Dinner
Oscar Meyer Pork sausage links
Boars Head bacon
Hormel Black Label bacon
Great Value brand bacon-WalMart
Bar-S bacon
Hilshire Farm bacon
Jone (?) bacon
JC Potter bacon
Rath Blackhawk bacon

One further caution I would like to share when eating bacon served in a
restaurant.  I've run into this several times; the first time with painful
results.  When bacon is served at a buffet/brunch often at the bottom of the
warming dish slices of bread are soaking up the bacon fat!  When they refill
that bacon that touched the bread is dumped on top of the new pan of bacon.
I have since seen this done at a "cook to order omelet" buffet and suspect
that it is being done in large kitchens that are feeding large quantities of
people  (i.e. hotels) routinely.  When the problem is explained they have
always cooked to order bacon for me that isn't drained on bread.

Vicki
WA state