From:
Kimber Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:06:49 PST

Hi everyone - please read this even if you are a man. Wanted to
respond to the question yesterday about yeast infections and CD from a
personal & medical perspective (I'm a nurse). My intolerance to
glutens, mainly wheat (even spelt) has eased some lately. It was
sudden in onset last year with hypoglycemia. Recently, however, I've
found out that a systemic candida a. (yeast) overgrowth (in the GI
tract) is 99% likely to be the cause (per a lab test) and could easily
be linked to so many of the symptoms I also hear everyone become
frustrated with - dizziness, headache, skin problems, hormone
insufficies (thyroid, hypoglycemia, etc.), fatigue, bloating & other
GI problems, weight changes, food intolerances, etc. It affects men &
women as well as the entire body - immune system included. I have gone
to a naturapath and am taking specific natural medications that will
kill the yeast. I'm also on a low carbohydrate, yeast-free diet. I
hear so many on the list focus on the foods they can't have in their
usual form (breads, cookies, etc.). Those foods provide little
nutrition - mainly carbos - which the yeast just love. They thrive and
grow when you ingest those foods. They are best minimized - regardless
of your condition. They are much more difficult to digest than fruit
and veggies. If you find similarity in symptomology - you may want to
consider finding a doctor who is familiar with candida to discuss your
specific condition. There are numerous books on the subject and they
are easy to find - "Yeast Connection" is one. There are survey tests
you can take (in the book) and score to find out if you may need
treatment. People who take antibiotics, steroids or the birth control
pill are prime candidates. Doctors are linking it to CD, autism,
auto-immune disorders (lupus), food intolerances, fibromyalgia, etc.
I'm finding that I'm regaining energy slowly (<2 weeks) - but at least
I'm improving. Hopefully, when all is said and done, I'll be able to
resume a few glutens in a minimized form. Actually, rice/bean bread is
better for us than white bread anyway. Good luck.

Kimber

** This is not intended to diagnose.. **