Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:47:03 EST

    I can only vaguely recall an inquiry regarding GF food in Nova Scotia a
few
months backs.  This hardly qualifies as a timely reply but...  We ran into a
small health food store in Cheticamp (sp?) on Cape Breton called AU COIN DES
PRODUITS NATURELS.  There's a tiny sign pointing up a long driveway on the
main
route thru the town.  They had a good selection of mixes, pasta and Pamela's
Cookies.   What impressed me the most was a Celiac poster (from the
Canadian GF
society).  Seeing something in full color print, displayed publicly, that most
people here in the US almost consider 'fantasy' was impressive.  The
proprietress said she supllied 3 local celiacs, but there were many
others(number unspecified) who prefered mail order or the 2 hour drive into
Sydney for supplies.  Although its hard to imagine a tourist celiac wandering
to such a remote place without being already well stocked-it might be worth
remembering in a pinch.
    Our impression of Canadian dining was quite good.  We ran into several
waitresses who were very cooperative and concerned and amazingly informed(one
actually had a friend about to get biopsied).  Little things like getting an
order of fish and chips with unbreaded fish were a refreshing change.