From:
Tracy Quale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 22:54:46 -0400

Wow!  Ok - I better summarize now due to the volume of mail I am receiving regarding my inquiry as to who might have an opinion on the House episode.....

First, to those of you who wanted to know what channel, what time, will there be a rerun, etc.

House is a drama that is aired on Tuesday nights at 9:00 pm Eastern.  I have watched since the show began airing and I really like it, but it's one of those shows their you either like or hate.  The main character, Dr. House, is pretty tough to take.  You have to understand his history.

The show pretty much went like this...(my opinion here)

The woman presented with massive seizures, heard voices, killed her baby, and ultimately will die of intestinal cancer because she is refusing treatment due to the depth of her horrific actions.  These symptoms are frightening, to say the least. To top it all off, she and her husband were alcoholics when they met, AND she clearly suffered from post partum depression or psychosis, so she had multiple issues going on.

Now on to the summary of results.....

I would have to guesstimate that approximately 80% of those who responded felt it did nothing to help our cause because the show was highly dramatic and the final mention of celiac and "flattened villi" was anticlimactic.

Most of those who responded felt that they thought they had the wrong night for the celiac show until the last 10 minutes when they autopsied the baby and saw he had flattened villi.

15% felt any press is good press for bringing our cause to the publics' attention.  Even though it was highly dramatic, at least it has been brought into the public's attention.

Approximately 25% felt that the show was so highly overdramatized that it actually hurt the celiac community because now doctors will never look for celiac disease unless we present them with completely insane behavior.

In any case, nearly EVERYONE said the show was extremely disturbing due to the intense level at which her disease presented, and the horrible way her baby died.

I thank you all for your insight, your honesty, and your interest.

Tracy