From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:48:11 -0600

This recipe has been my salvation! It is from the Denver Celiac Group's
recipe book, and I can't find an author's name for this recipe or a
copyright for the book. I've shared it with several of you, but it's so
great, I think it deserves being in our archives---with at least five
stars!

[NOTE: You may need to make other substitutions for eggs or the nonfat dry
milk. My comments are all in [xxx].]

SANDWICH BUNS/PIZZA SHELLS/CINNAMON ROLLS

2 tsp. sugar
1 3/4 c. lukewarm water

3 large eggs
1/4 c butter [can be margarine, but not any of the low-fat or whipped stuff]
1 1/4 c. water
1 tsp. gluten-free vinegar [I used Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar]

1/3 c. sugar (less 2 tsp. above)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. nonfat dry milk
2 c. rice flour
2 c. tapioca flour
3 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 pkg active dry yeast (1 1/2 T.)

Dissolve the 2 tsp. sugar in the lukewarm water. Sprinkle yeast on top and
let sit 10 min. until bubbly.

Melt butter (margarine); cool [I just set the microwave container with the
melted butter in cool water for a couple of minutes] and add vinegar.

Sift together dry ingredients. Stir the yeast mixture and the
water/butter/vinegar mixture into the dry ingredients, then add eggs and
beat 2 min. with mixer on high speed.

SANDWICH BUNS [the recipe says 12-14; I made 16 and they're jut the right
size]: Place English muffin rings [whatever you'd like to use--tuna cans?
muffin top pans?] on a greased cookie sheet. Coat inside well with a
non-stick spray. Divide dough among the rings using a large spoon and
rubber spatula. Coat fingertips with tapioca flour and pat out gently to
fill the ring. [I use the back of a spoon dipped in water to smooth them
out.]

PIZZA SHELLS (makes 2 14" shells): Place mound of dough on greased cookie
sheet or pizza pan. Sprinkle with tapioca flour, coat fingertips with
flour, and gently pat the dough out to desired size using the flat of your
hand. [I haven't tried this ...]

CINNAMON ROLLS: Proceed as for buns, but put only a small amount of dough
in ring, top with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and currants or
raisins [or 1/2 c. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon]; repeat layers.

Allow dough to rise to double in a warm place [I don't remember how long
this was--maybe 30 min?]. Bake buns or cinnamon rolls at 350 degrees for 25
min or until they are lightly browned. Cool on a rack. Swirl cinnamon rolls
with icing if desired.

Seal in zip bags and freeze for future use. [Note: You might want to slice
them before freezing if you make lunches in the AM and leave them in a hot
car like I do. It's better to start with frozen SLICED bread!]

Bake unfilled pizza shells at 400 degrees for 8 min., just until they begin
to brown. Seal surface lightly with olive oil, fill with toppings; bake 10
min. additional. OR freeze baked shells for future use; fill unthawed
shells with desired toppings, bake 10-12 min.

-----
From the Denver Metro Chapter of CSA/USA's High Altitude Gluten-Free Cookbook --

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]