Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:00:25 EDT

FOlks-

SOrry it took so long to summarize - must be Someone above was looking out
for me - I posted that note - and then had a really bad reaction and I was by
myself with a 3 year old for four days - reading your responses kept me sane
as that I am 'like' someone else.  I found a lot of similarities to what I
experience and some differences therefore I included copious responses so as
not to eliminate what might be important to you.

ALso, many of you asked me for advice/info -  one question that popped up a
lto was what supplements am I taking - well you asked:

MOst of these are made by Seraimmune Labs:

Perquedopholus  - Priobitocs type
Enduraguard  - glutamine
Life GUard - Quercitin
AO2  - not sure what all this does
Perque 2  - multivitamin
Vit C - large quantities

SOmatomed - a secretagogue

Stabillium - antidepressent - this is an interesting one - do a web search on
it

Biopair -- for joint pain

NAtural PRogesterone

My doctor is a naturopath who helps MS and Fibromyalgia patients.  SHe has
suffered through severe food allergies herself - she is a gift from God.

Here are the Summaries:

*******************

What supplements did/do you take for your leaky gut?  My worst problem
besides gluten is corn; and my reaction to corn is about the same as leaky
gut.  I've tried digestive enzymes, but I don't think they help.

I find that red meat digests better or easier for me than chicken.  I have no
idea why, but one of my friends (non-celiac) says the same thing.

*******

Considering the list of food "allergies" that I have, I suspect it is more a
leaky gut problem.  If the allergens didn't get out of my gut, I wouldn't
have a problem.  I have no GI signs - maybe a couple of times, but it could
have been something else.  My signs are skin problems, joint problems,
itching, myalgia.  I can almost always figure out what caused the acute
problem.  Some take time to develop and time to improve - those are the more
difficult things to identify.  Don't know why it started, but it just
kind of snowballed over a period of a couple yearsa |a |..

One thing that surprised me - there are certain plastics that seem to cause
problems - with my skin.  Like the plastic of bottled water, definitely if
the bottles are reused a number of times.  So I just avoid storing liquid
foods in any type of plastic.  I have not had a problem with lexan - so that
is what I use for my water bottles when traveling and back packing.  Hot
liquids in those insulated mugs - face starts breaking our,
getting red, takes several days to clear up.  So, I use glass, ceramic
mugs...I have stopped trying to explain it - just live with it.

*******************

Boy, can I relate to what you're saying!  I eat a very restricted SCD
--limited fruit, no dairy, and nuts bother me, too.  Not only that, but
itseems that if I don't use a four-day rotation of my foods, some of my
"safe" foods give me a reaction.  What happens to me is that I get
palpitations about 20 minutes after eating -- sometimes.  Even with a
givenfood, the palpitations are not always consistent.  So it leaves me
feeling uncertain as to whether I'm allergic to them or not.  Plus, sometimes
I get a little increase in my temperature about 30 minutes after eating
(along with the palpitations).  Although the Specific Carbohydrate Diet is
helping me (no starch of any kind), I am sure there is something else going
on.  I am about to do an intestinal permeability test again -- it was
positive in the past.

My bloating is far less on SCD, but I still have a problem with any sugars,
even fruit and honey.  It wouldn't surprise me that I have some
sort of continuing problem with bacteria or yeast or something.  Also, I'm
one of those celiacs who gets neuro symptoms.  Sometimes after eating
something I get a flare of muscle twitching, and pins and needles in my
extremeties.  Not very pleasant.  I can't offer you much more at this point
than to say I understand.  I am working my way through this thing also. Also,
usually about 2-3 days after eating something that "doesn't agree"with me --
and I'm not talking about gluten -- my BMs become somewhat looseand the food
looks somewhat undigested.  So something is still not rightafter being gluten
free for 2 months and on an even stricter diet which encompasses GF for 5
weeks.

***********************

How did they diagnose you with Leaky Gut, of course my GI says there is no
such thing and then I talk to my friend who is a Naturopath and there is such
a thing and lots of you guys on the list talk about it as well.  I'm just
wondering as I am gf, but I still have IBS and my dr. says aI'm just lucky.

I always am bloated after eating, gassy, etc. and I know it's not a gluten
reaction, that's a very different pain and overall feeling.
just curious, hope you feel better-

*************************

Probably some bacteria in the meat. This is VERY common. Nothing to do with
your particular problems.

*************************

it`s a long story,which I won`t go into,but after discovering gluten was the
cause of my problems,I thought I had it cracked 2 years ago.Stay off
gluten...that was the answer....then the other food intolerances started
thick and fast.I couldn`t understand it....then,it was explained to me that
undiagnosed celiacs can cause terrible damage to the gut wall,and that was
obviously my problem. I have actually just found a lab that can do tests and
verify this.I understand that in the US,somewhere called Great Smokies Lab
will do this for US residents via mail order,they do have a website,
 Anyway....onto diet    really I live on a boring diet.....bananas for
breakfast,then usually meat and either salad or vegetables (no tomatoes,no
potatoes) as my daily meal.I can`t eat more than one meal per day,have no
appetite,but I must be so careful to avoid any processed foods,anything that
has more than a pinch of sugar in it.If you do a search for leaky gut,you
will get many sites to visit that are quite informative.

This is pretty gross,but I know when I have mistakenly have eaten gluten...I
always get a very distinctive `smell` when I`ve been to the loo.Sorry,I can`t
think of a more polite way of putting that. I find that as well as bananas,I
can eat pineapple,so I sometimes mix the two together for
breakfast.....apparently they both contain enzymes that aid digestion.

***************

I read your post about leaky gut. I, too, have struggled for years with this.
I have been GF about 18 months now, and simply going GF did not help the
leaky gut problem. I still had great difficulty with gaining weight,
digestion, and chronic yeast infection.

Recently, my doctor tried me on a powder made by Metagenics. It's called
Glutagenics. It's a combination of glutamine (well known for its healing
properties for people with leaky gut), licorice, and aloe. I take a teaspoon
a day with water -- on an empty stomach, although the directions call for it
3 times a day.

I know it's GF, and amazingly, within a month, I have gained 5 pounds! (I was
so underweight from the celiac.) I am now up to 106! And, more importantly,
I feel well. The yeast problems are less extreme, and I'm hoping they'll
continue to abate. The Metagenics brand is well known among holistic
practitioners/herbalists. I also think they have a web site. You may want to
try this, or simply try taking at least 4 grams of glutamine daily to help
the leaky gut.

****************************

I know that I have leaky gut and my intestines are permeable. I get the same
reactions as you. I can get bloated one day and feel fine the next.If
something slips in that I am not tolerant to, I have an attack of
spasms and gas now, no diarrhea, but a loose movement. It takes about 5days
to get over the attack. I started taking L-glutamine and it healsthe
inflammation in the intestines.

******************************

No doctor ever labelled me as having leaky gut but I can see that is what I
have since joining this list 3 yrs ago. I think since was undiagnosed for
over 18 yrs and now on this diet for 27, I will never
repair the damage completely. There are times ( a few) that I don't digest
what I eat (like tomato skins, etc) and it comes out undigested. It no longer
upsets me because I know to go back to a bland diet to heal myself. I think
you just have to learn to live with it and keep yourdiet restricted to things
you are allergic to also.

*****************************

I and many other celiacs cannot tolerate BEEF.  I use pork, chicken, turkey,
lamb -- no problem.  Beef ties my insides up into a terrible knot, alternates
diarhea and constipation, and causes cramping.I also can't tolerate cows milk
(don't know why).  I dare eat only butter.  Symptoms are similar to beef
symptoms, but include massive confusion.  This is NOT lactose intolerance -
I do not have lactose intolerance.

Also, I am extremely susceptible to damage from preservatives, such as the
nitrates/nitrites in BarS hot dogs, which are gluten free but make me sick
anyhow.

***********************************

I had problems for years, weight loss,diarrhea, severe stomach pains and
violent vomiting; sometimes I was unable to get out of bed for days due to
the discomfort.  I wasdiagnosed with reflux and leaky gut but only when I
found a really goodgastroenterologist did I find out that leaky gut is a
sympton of something else and he targeted Celiac's.  I had the scope and
biopsy andwas finally diagnosed.  Leaky gut is a result in my case of the
villi being damaged and unable to digest proteins, hence they "leak" out and
cause the problem.  Since giving up on the gluten, I have improved
significantly, tho it is easy to miss products with hidden gluten.

Sally Hackett,  Raleigh NC

***********************************

According to my nutionist, leady gut goes with celiac because it wipes away
the villi.  Besdies being gf for years, there is a "qucik" and definitely
healthy way to heal the gut.....with each meal, take an L-glutamine capsule
and a probiotics capsule.  Glutamine is an amino acid with is a catalyst for
other vitamins, gets oxygen to the brain, metaolizes fats and sugars.
Probiottics is a spcialized formof acidophilus, very strong and mulit
strained which works to heal the gut and resestablish the flora and fauna,
These are very impt esp to reduce the risk of colon cancer.  You need to take
this for the rest of your life, altho you might be able to cut back after a
year or so.  I noticed I was no longer lactose intolerant after six months,
so my gut had healed at that pt.

My md, who is a homeopath recommended that I take the homeopathic remedy
VERATRUM ALB 30 C, 2 pillsunder the tongue as needed to stop gluten attacks.
It works very quickly and I always have it with me.  You can get the formula
and the homeo remedies at a health food store.  Veratrum Alb 30c is only
about five dollars a vial.

******************

Sally, sounds really similar to what I have gone through for years. I was
told that I have leaky gut syndrome and food allergies.Iwas put on an
elimination diet to find out what I reacted to and really learned a lot.  I
have a strong reaction to wheat, corn and some reaction to dozens of other
foods. My dietician put me on a powdered glutamate to repair the lining, but
it make me feel sicker.

The only relief was when I eliminated  bread/cakes/cookies etc made from
flour, corn and any of it's  byproducts (corn syrup, cornstarch etc) and
reduced   other foods that I had a reaction to.

My symptoms ranged from stomach problems, bowel problems, severe rash on my
face and hands, allergy to sunlight (lupuslike), inability to digest any kind
of food, headaches, tingling and itching all over, sores in mouth, reflux,
etc.

Besides the strict diet   which helps, I found that simple enzymes like
papaya and lactaid help, small amounts of pineapple and papaya juice with
meals, small meals, no large meal after 1 or 2 in the afternoon and veggie
snacks only until bedtime.

I also do 100% of my grocery shopping at a organic food store to eliminate
pesticides and other chemicals.   This has made such and improvement, I will
never go back to commercially packaged foodstuffs again. Food now actually
digests  likeit should for the first time in my life.

*****************************

three years ago, I was leaving on a trip and got violently ill with what I
now know to be gluten reactions. They lasted for a week and a half.  If that
had happened to me now, I would have taken that Vetratrum Alb30c after each
bowel movelment or at the first sign of cramping and that would have been it.
Hint===I urge you to get it.

*******************

I, too, was diagnosed with Leaky Gut about 5 years ago.  Just diagnosed with
Celiac last Dec.I have problems if I drink alcohol - even champagne or light
rum, the "GF alcohols".  Also, several years ago, I read that ibuprofen,
aspirin and liquor or alcohol of any kind could cause leaky gut to react
again.

*************************

In regard to leaky gut, I take L-Glutamine capsules, 500 mg from Twinlab.  I
take one tablet at breakfast and one at lunch, and two at dinner time making
a total of 2000 mg per day.  After about three months of this practice my
leaky gut symptoms disappeared, and I continue to take this amount
ofL-Glutamine each day.  My symptoms have not returned.

***********************

You mention food allergies.  You might want to look at the work of Dr. Devi
Nambudripad who developed the NAET program which is a program to detoxify
people from their various food allergies.  If you type in NAET on your search
page on your  internet you will find her web pages and can read about
the program there.  It involves the use of acupressure, acupuncture and
muscle testing.  I am undergoing the program and can now eat eggs and dairy
products without any difficulty at all. Prior to my treatments, after one
bite or swallow of these products I went into almost instant diarrhea . Among
my allergies are allergies to red meat.  The only kind of beef I can eat is
hamburger because the enzymes are already chopped.  Any other kind of red
meat puts me into diarrhea within 30 minutes. So it is quite possible that
you are allergic to red meat, including chopped varieties. The best thing to
do is to eliminate red meat (beef, veal, lamb) from your diet. WhenI complete
the first ten treatments of Dr. Nambudripad's program, then I
will be treated for individual allergies, including red meat.

***********************

Hi.  Well, I'd say everybody who has CD has a leaky gut, there's nothing
mysterious or uncommon about it. There are many causes, including parasites
(which some MDs have estimated to be in 25% of us) and intestinal yeast
(fungus)(which some MDS have estimated to be in 90% of us!).  So, I'd say
many, many people have it.  Many, many people also have food allergiesbecause
of the leaky gut and also don't know it. So, what have I done? Quit eating
foods I'm allergic to, including all grains, the other foods with lectins
that bother me (including amaranth, quinoa, milk, soy, etc.), and took stuff
to get rid of parasites and yeasts. Thinks are looking up, finally.

**********************

I don't know if this can help you, but yesterday a friend directed me to a
web site that she thought could help my multi-symptomed child.  She has type
I diabetes, hyperthyroid and celiac.  There is some interesting reading here.
 I don't know anything about except what I read there and a testimonial from
my friend on how her family's health improved after starting this diet.  The
web address is www.hacres.com .  Hope this is of some help to you.

Last May, our family doctor tested me for intestinal permeability, and after
diagnosing Leaky Gut Syndrome, put me on an allergen-free diet and a
supplement from UltraClear.   For one month, I followed the recommended diet
and used UltraClear Sustain, and about halfway through the month, I began
having steatorreah (smelly, floating, pale-colored stools). That went away
after a couple of weeks, and seems to be related to inability to handle fats.
  My doctor had me continue the diet, and switched me after the lst month to
UltraClear Inflammax. My symptoms, (constipation, gas, itchy nose and puffy
eyes) were greatly reduced, but still gave me trouble, and I was reassured on
reading the brochure describing the diet, supplement and courseof treatment,
that it usually takes 2 to 3 months to heal the intestines.So I figured I was
one of the 3-month patients, at least.

 During the second month, I started using Rice Dream on my cereal every
morning, because even reading the label, I couldn't remember why I thought I
should stay away from it.  Then a post came from someone on the list,
pointing out that even the plain Rice Dream had an out-of-the-way disclaimer,
separate from the main ingredient list, that says it contains less than .003
parts barley.  When I stopped using that, my symptoms were even more reduced,
but I still get a day or so a week of unexplained symptoms.  That may be
again because it is taking me longer than some to heal, or I may be sensitive
to some of the food allowed in the diet.  My understanding is that you can
become sensitized to almost anything you eat a
lot of when you have Leaky Gut Syndrome.  I eat a lot of soy, and I have
heard that a soy intolerance can also flatten the villi (I think I read that
somewhere on the list - check the archives).  Anyway, I am to continue eating
as I am, and if I still have trouble, I will cut out the soy.  One thing that
also helps is to duplicate food items no more frequently than every four
days.  I am not as careful about that recently as I was, so that's something
else to try. It's a tedious process sometimes, but I have been encouraged
over the long haul, and my husband is very supportive and reminds me of how
much better I have been since going gf 9 months ago, and allergen-free 21/2
months ago.He also co-operates with the diet, eating mostly the same as I do,
with the exception of sandwiches.  I don't keep forbidden foods around,
especially sweets.   I am one of the 20% whose symptoms are not the classic
profile for celiacs.  I have lost weight since going on the diet - but then,
most of myfavorite desserts have wheat in them, and now I am staying away
from sugar -even natural sweeteners like honey.  I am feeling more like
exercisingagain, and I am more alert and clear-thinking than before.  When I
amtempted to eat something not allowed on my diet, I usually remember that
not only am I taking the chance of feeling miserable for days, but I also will
not be able to tell my doctor that I stuck with the diet, and in order to
find out the foods causing the symptoms, I want to be able to do that.  I
know he really wants to help me. And there are lots of plans that I have that
I can't risk feeling ill.   Hope this isn't too long and boring for you.  It
does get easier and you WILL feel better.  There is some helpful information
in the archives about Leaky Gut and its treatment, too.  Wishing you better
health every day!

Also, some folks asked who my doctor is - her name is Beverly Goode - she
practices in  Raleigh - she is board certified in medicine and is also a
naturopath and a nutritionist.  She is a cool lady and treats people with
celiac, autism, MS, CFS, fibromyalgia (to name a few!)   She is the face of
God on earth.

Sally Hackett,  Raleigh NC