From:
Diane Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:54:27 -0400

My post was in regard to my children, recently diagnosed with CD, who also have many food allergies.  They have lost weight since eliminating many foods to which they are allergic, and my concern was what to do about this. Here's what you has helped you:

Probiotics --several people

Breaking the Vicious Cycle, a book by Elaine Gottschalk.  The diet associated with this calls for elimination of a number of  foods which may cause sensitivities, and there is a listserv for people on this diet.  It has helped one of our listmates very much in three weeks time.

Two more books: Eat Right 4 Your Type by D'Adamo.  list of foods for certain blood types
                          Nourishing Traditions

More calories from more meals, more pasta, and smoothies enriched with whatever nutrients are tolerated.

Several people sent ideas for dishes to try and what to cook--too many to list here--but you are so nice to have done this. In addition to common foods, these were also mentioned as helpful--coconut oil, metamucil, and kimchi.

Dietary Supplements:
   Skandishakes--high calorie supplement from dietaryshoppe.surshopping/com (I found out it has
      caseinate, however, so unfortunately, not for us)
   Alimentum RTE, available in the grocery story
   This hasn't been tried but, one person has seen a supplement that can be used as a supplement
      or as a replacement for food on a "food holiday." It avoids proteins altogether by delivering the
      constituent amino acids, instead.  www.nutramed.com

Vitamins:
    Freeda vitamins--several people
    Kirkman Laboratories--specializes in hypoallergenic products  1-800-245-8252
    Puritan's Pride Vitamins--one person said that the fatigue might be from lack of B 12
    One person:  Is it worth worrying about allergens in vitamins since the amounts are so small?

We had our delayed food allergy testing done by Immunolabs.  One person said they have a dietician on staff who is supposed to help, and that we could followup with that person.

In addition to practical ideas, several people voiced encouragement and empathy for a concerned mother as well as her children.  You are a great group; thank you all.

: