From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:21:07 -0500

That leaves two last replies to my inquiry, the only ones
I could *not* verify as GF in any of the resources that I
have access to:

Cipro:

500 mg tablets made by Bayer (now made by Schering
Plough).

“I spoke with Bayer this morning and they advised that
they no longer make Cipro and I should call Schering
Plough. I spoke with them and they also said that their
filler ingredients change from batch to batch and they
have no idea whether it is gluten free or not.” The
message goes on to read, “It has not been that long ago
that I checked on Cipro and at that time, it was made by
Bayer and it was GF. So much for that!!!!”

Note there is also a generic form of Cipro made by Mylan.
The sender also wanted to point out, “I spoke with Mylan
at 304-599-2595 and they verified that all of the
prescription drugs that they manufacture are gluten free.”

** Out of curiosity I looked up Cipro on the GFmedlist,
resources listed below, and it is there, “Cipro Tabs, oral
susp. Bayer Pharmaceutical” ...but I could not find a
reference for Cipro made by Schering Plough.**

Pamprin and Midol:

One poster wrote me, “WAS TOLD THAT PAMPRIN AND MIDOL WERE
NOT GF - TOO BAD !!”

**Out of curiosity I attempted to look up these products
only to find that they were not listed in any of the
resources listed below.**

-----

Resources for verifying GF status of drugs (besides St.
John’s Listserv archives):

Books:

Spiral-bound book (400 pages): “Celiac Sprue, A Guide
Through the Medicine Cabinet” copyright 2002, compiled and
written by Marcia Milazzo, ISBN 0-9725620-0-1

The 2005 edition of the book “Celiac Sprue, A Guide
Through the Medicine Cabinet” is now available. This
edition covers additional ingredients that may be
problematic to many people: gluten, lactose, iodine,
casein, sugar, caffeine and alcohol. It may be purchased
for $39.00 plus shipping directly from www.celiacmeds.com
or through CSA/USA at www.csaceliacs.org.

Online resources:

GFmedlist
http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf

“Compiled from various sources** by the Wheaton Gluten
Free Support Group”.

**Sources: Bess, Rabbi Gershon, “Star-K Passover
Directory: Medicines and Cosmetics—2004,” Kollel Los
Angeles. Gluten-Free Product List of the Celiac Disease
On-Line Support Group—Delphi Forum. Tri-County Celiac
Support Group, “Shopping Guide 2002-2003 Fall, Canton, MI.
Dennis, M. and S. Case, “Going Gluten-Free: a Primer for
Clinicians,” Practical Gastroenterology, April 2004.
Plogsted, S., “Medication List,” www.glutenfreedrugs.com.
Crowe, J. and N. Falini, “Gluten in Pharmaceutical
Products,” Am J Health-Syst Pharm 58(5):396-401, 2001.
Walgreens Gluten Free Product List, Oct. 2003.

-----

www.glutenfreedrugs.com
This site is run and updated by a pharmacist.

-----

Clan Thompson’s Celiac Site: Over-the-counter meds are
found at
http://www.clanthompson.com/res_info_lists_show_items.php3?category=Over%20the%20Counter%20Meds&category_id=5
Prescription meds found at
http://www.clanthompson.com/res_info_lists_show_items.php3?category=Prescription%20Drugs&category_id=6

-----

Clan Thompson's "SmartLists"
Info from www.celiac.com: Clan Thompson's
Celiac/Gluten-Free SmartLists are a series of programs
which make it easy to find gluten information on thousands
of mainstream products sold at most chain stores
throughout the USA. The programs run on a variety of
systems, including Windows PCs and Palm Handhelds. At this
time we offer a Gluten-Free Food Product Database which
lists mainstream food products, and a Gluten-Free Drug
Database which lists mainstream and perscription drugs.
The information is carefully checked and verified directly
with the food manufacturers themselves -- and we include
their phone numbers with each entry in case you want to
contact them as well. Purchase at:
http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=112&sid=91hH9H1FiJrBDWn-41105176926.55

-----

Delphi forums celiac disease on-line support group
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
under GF product lists click on "Medication RX and OTC
April 2005"

Megan Tichy