Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:34:41 -0400

I want to thank all who answered me in regards to Fosamax. (I apologize for the delay... the very hot, humid weather, and a busy workplace, really have gotten me behind on things). Here is the summary of the replies.

"Yes, I have CD for 10 years and have taken Fosamax for 2 years.  I don't have any stomach problems from this, when I follow the instructions given for taking Fosamax. Elaine"

"Yes, I take Fosamax with no problems. Shirley"

"I have taken Fosamax for quite some time with no problems, because it is gluten free. Vi"

"Yes, I've been taking fosamax for almost a year with no problems so far but improved bone density by 17%. I did have a lot of diarrhea before my diagnosis for many years.  I take the medicine once a week and do as directed, do not lay down for at least an hour and do not eat for that long after taking it.  I believe it says a half hour but decided to be a little safer.   Hope this helps. Nancy."

"My husband has been on the weekly dose of fosamax for almost a year without GI symptoms.  His original symptoms for CD were heartburn and excess acidity in the stomach or so it felt.He only has diarrhea if he has a gluten accident which is not often. However, he has developed joint pain in his hands.  The Dr ordered xrayswhich showed osteoarthritis.  We are not convinced that the pain is not from the fosamax, so he has been off it for 3 weeks.  We will see if it makes a difference in his hands.  It is one of the rare side effects of fosamax. Just figures that he might be the one to have that side effect. Hope this helps, Barbara in Illinois"

"I had symptoms before I went gf (diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting,heartburn). I've been on Fosamax (10 mg daily) for four months now without any problems. Perrianne Lurie"

"I took Fosamax for more than three years, and never had any problems with diarrhea or stomach upsets.  What I did develop was GERD, a reflux reaction in my esophagus, sometimes associated with heartburn.  I have discontinued Fosamax and am now taking an infusion with a substance somewhat similar to Fosamax.  It is called Aredia or Pamidronate.  I am one of those people who don't build back bone density with any of the medications, although they keep my density on a level basis, more or less.  So far, after a year of infusions, one every three months, I still haven't built back density. Other than reflux, Fosamax was not a problem to take. Mary Russell"

"Several years ago I had regular bouts of diarrhea and a tender stomach (from taking a lot of pain killers for migraine).  My doctor prescribed Fosamax anyway because of osteopenia (on my way to osteoporosis.)   I took it carefully in the morning when I first got up with several glasses of water and by the time I had exercised and dressed could eat breakfast (30-45 minutes later).  I surprisingly never had a bit of problem with stomach
upset, etc. However, after being on it three months I developed a rash, first on my legs and then arms, from it.  The same thing happened with Actonel, another osteoporosis prevention drug.  Finally I tried Miacalcin Nasal Spray and it works fine for me.  It doesn't help build as much bone as the other two meds, but it's better than nothing  (also on Premarin and 2000 mg of calcium a day).  I'm still on that regime even though I was biopsy diagnosed 6 months ago with CD.  I'm looking forward to my next Dexxa bone scan to see where I'm at bone-wise.  I've been able to gain 15 pounds (was steadily losing weight before no matter how much I ate) and blood tests last week showed I'm not anemic anymore nor do I have elevated liver enzymes--two problems I've had for the last 15 years!  So, it will be interesting to see whether I need to stay on that much calcium.  I'm 62 and have a lot of allergies to both things inside and out, as well as some food sensitivities. I'd say "try it" and see what happens.  It's the only way you'll know. Jan in Kansas"

"I've taken Fosamax successfully without any discernible side effects.  I started about 1.5 years after going gluten-free. Best, David"

"I took Actonel for a year.  The first month I felt bad and was constipated, but my body finally adjusted and I got along well.  (My normal gluten reaction is diarrhea, gas, bloating, etc. and I had no worsening of those former symptoms.) This year I tried the once a week Fosomax.  I tried for 2 months, but never got past the constipation (which has never been a problem with me - except when taking Actonel and Fosomax).  Finally gave it up and 4 months later am still struggling with the constipation, however Metamusil is helping."

"I have been on fosamax for about 2 years now - with great results.   I am quite a sensitive celiac - I get the runs quite easily.  I am careful how and when I take it - I follow the instructions carefully and I have had maybe 2 or 3 episodes of upset stomach - but I think I must've bent over or something on those occasions.   In the beginning, I was a little fanatical about not bending or lying down - it has become second nature to me now - I take it first thing when I get up (I count the water as one of my attempts at drinking 8 glasses a day).   On time times I had
stomach upset, it was a case of the burps - and I took some Rolaids and it went away.  I hope this helps - my bone density (the first year) improved by 50% - I had "danger zone" osteoperosis in my hips and spine - I'm not so much in the danger zone anymore.  A girlfriend of mine is on fosamax too - she asked her doctor for the one week at once dosage so she wouldn't have to bother with it daily - she found that a little hard on her stomach (she doesn't have cd) and she's switching back to the daily dose. I hope this helps you take care of yourself !!!! Lynn (Toronto, Canada).  "

"I have taken it for about six years with neither diarrhea nor stomach problems..nor any other problems for that matter. "

"I have taken both the Fosamax and Actonel, right now back on Fosamax and have never had any kind of problems with either one.  But then everyone is different.....hope it works out for you.   JS"

"Yes, I take Fosamax with no problems. Shirley"

"I'm a 72 yo celiac male, diagnosed with osteoporosis.  I have taken fosamax for 9 months without side effects that I can detect.  I follow the instructions very carefully."

"I take the weekly Fosamax pill.  Works fine for me.  I don't eat or drink for 30 minutes after I take it in the am.  No side effects. Gay "

"yes, I take weekly dosing "

"I have been taking Fosamax 35 mg for about 5 months.  I have had no problems with it. Hope this helps!
Stacey "

"I am a Celiac and take Fosamax with no problem.  Have used it for three years and am now on the once a week pill.  RC"

"I have been taking Twin Lab's TRI BORON PLUS...I am 60 and two bone denisty tests have been almost off the charts....close to 2.0!!! Two drs had recommended it."

"Yes Susan, been on it for 8 months with no trouble and I am both Casein and Gluten intolerant.  Just follow the rules carefully. Monika"

"i just started taking fosamax about two months ago.  i follow the directions (first thing in the morning with a full glass of water and no other liquids or food for at least 30 minutes and remain standing or sitting) and have had absolutley NO problems.  i take the 35 mg. once a week. good luck. jenn in illinois"

"I have been taking Fosamax since 1998.  I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue last November, Fosamax does not bother me at all.  I also take the 70 mg. tablets, once a week.  Eleanor"

"I thought my ulcers had come back with Fosamax.  My doctor switched me to Actonel and I've had no problems whatsoever with that one. Joanne"

"Yes, I have."

"I attended a Gluten Intolerance Group education conference last year. Some of the leading expert doctors in the country were there to speak.  I well remember one who said that Fossamax is NOT recommended for celiacs. I can't remember the exact reason why.  It had something to do with our malabsorption.  Valerie in Tacoma  [Please post this in your summary.  Everyone should know this.]"

"I have been taking fosomax for a couple of years and I have not seen an increase in gastric problems. I even recently switched to the once a week variety (so I can have my cup of coffee early!) I do attend to always being
up straight for over a half an hour and drinking the water with the pill. good luck. Marijane"