From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:56:11 -0800

Hello everybody,
     Several people have e-mailed me to say that they too have had
problems finding a gluten-free vitamin complex, and are awaiting this
summary. So here goes:
     1- Twin Labs products seem to have different effect on people.
Some can't tolerate them, while others have no problems and recommend
Twin Labs B-50,and  Allergy Multitabs. Ruth says she contacted Twin
Labs directly and was told that their products are gluten-free and
their capsules made with GF vegetable gels.
     2- Freeda vitamins, based in NYC, was the most recommended.
Several people said they "trust Freeda, and only Freeda," and spoke
highly of Freeda's  participation at a recent Celiac Association
convention. Freeda guarantees that all their products are gluten free.
They have a website. Can also be ordered from 1-800-777-3737.
    3- Other vitamins recommended are:
       - Solgar (available at most drugstores and health food stores)
       - Nature Made (several reported that the label says it's
gluten-free)
       - Life Source from Source Naturals
       - Bronson (can be ordered from 1-800-235-3200)
       - Enzyme Process (Carol says this was on the advise of her
nutritionist. She can't take high potency viatmins, and was advised to
take several lower dosage pills throughout the day, instead of in one
big swoop. This makes sense to me).
       - Nuplex by Thompson
       - Min Ra Sol liquid minerals, ordered directly from
manufacturer. Bob reported that this was amazingly cheap, only $25 a
gallon.
     4- Several people made an interesting observation. High doses of
iron can result in symptoms very similar to gluten intoxication, i.e.,
bloated abdomen, queasiness, diarrhea, etc.
     Based on the information received, I have resolved on the
following: I am switching to Freeda, since I can get it right here in
NYC (great place midtown, with pharmacists who not only talked
knowledgeably about gluten-free vitamins, but said they were also
available for consultation on the gluten content of prescription
medicines). I will get a multivitamin with a lower potency and lower
iron content. And I will definitely post any reactions, positive or
negative!
     My grateful thanks to all who responded. I am new to the
listserve, and I can't tell you all how comforting it is to discover
that other people have gone through the same problems and misery I
have. For years I dragged myself from doctor to doctor, trying to find
out what was sapping all my energy and ruining my life. Now I have
started to rebuild my life and health,  and feel full of optimism
again. Gluten-free vitamins, here I come!
                          Mary