From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:44:52 -0800

I originally posted about my experience getting heartburn relief from taking
HeartBurn Free, a remedy that helps relieve heartburn w/o interfering with
stomach acid production, normal digestion or causing constipation.  Most
people who responded asked where I could find this product.  It's available
at many health food stores as well as on line.  A Google search for the
words "Heartburn Free" or "orange peel extract" will bring up multiple
sources.

This product if used as directed gives good relief for up to six months.
You take one capsule on an empty stomach every other day for 20 days then
only one occasionally as needed after that.  It (plus other treatments)
worked for me 3 years ago when I was suffering from severe reflux &
indigestion.

[As usual, my obnoxious comments in brackets.]  Valerie in Tacoma
-------------
Acid-Ease by Prevail is another natural remedy for this, no side effects.
Ingredients: Slippery Elm Bark, Marshmallow Root Extract, Gamma-Oryzanal
(from Rice Bran), Pure Plant Enzymes (amylase, lipase II, cellulase I).
Other ingredients: gelatin, microcrystalline cellulose, ascorbyl palmitate.
It is also by Enzymatic Therapy, go to www.prevail.com  Says it contains no:
sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten,corn, soy, dairy, or anything artificial,
no preservatives.

Eileen
[This sounds like an excellent product because it's ingredients sooth
inflammation, enhance digestion w/o upsetting stomach acid or pH.  This
would be a good product for those people who can't tolerate HCl.]
---------------------
I was just thinking about you and stomach acid. In New Scientist they >were
talking about an experiment where they gave normal volunteers TUMS, then
exposed them to a new food. The control group (no Tums) didn't develop an
allergy to the food, but the TUMS group did. So they
>surmise that low stomach acid helps trigger allergies. -- Heidi
[I tried to find this article, but coudn't.  I did, however, find quite a
few other interesting articles on this subject which I will post links to in
the next part of this summary.]
----------------
Chamomile tea works wonders for heartburn.  Deb
[I lost the rest of Deb's comments, but she told me that she used to use a
couple prescription anti-acid medications & was able to give them up when
she started using chamomile tea!  Pretty cool, huh?]
Here's an article about orange peel extract, the active ingredient in
Heartburn Free.  Pretty interesting.
http://www.illnessisoptional.com/articles/heartburn_orange_peel_main.htm
I read something about an herbal releif for indigestion & heartburn -- bay
leaf tea.