From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:37:49 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I recently posted a request for info about an oatmeal from Canada that one of my support group members had heard about.  Below is the summary of responses received.

All responses mentioned (except the last one found below) that McCann's Oatmeal from Ireland would be the best choice for oatmeal if you choose to use it.

One poster said that Canadian oats are no safer than American ones because of cross-contamination.

One poster gave the following recommendation about cooking McCann's oatmeal:

"McCann's Irish Steel Cut Oats are often in regular supermarkets.  Heat the oatmeal to boiling and let soak overnight.  In the morning, just heat it, and eat it.  Great with brown sugar, raisins, nuts, or fruit on it. "

Another poster said the following:

"McCann's made in Ireland and widely available in the US is glutenfree--per Peter Green of the Columbia Celiac Center. "

Another poster stated the following:

"It was my understanding that the only confirmed and assured non-contaminated oats were grown in the lab for volunteers in Dr. Maki's testing.  (I believe in Finland)
Various grain people have stated on this list that any commercial oats have the strong possibility of contamination either from the fields, trucks or processing.  I don't believe anyone here in the US is growing in completely dedicated fields or using dedicated equipment.  That's just not cost effective or profitable.
There was some rabbi who had a dedicated field and the crop was used to produce Oat Matzoa for Passover.  You might find that through a search, however 1 box of matzoa was $16 at a local health food store.
Some on this list state Irish oats are pure since wheat is not grown in Ireland but I know that to be untrue.  Some friends eat McCanns and depend upon that as a safe source."

The last statement above mentions that the Irish oats are NOT pure uncontaminated, but does not cite the source for that information.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to respond.

Barbara in Missouri

Disclaimer --- I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.