From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:33:58 -0400

When questioned about the gf status of the following, Symbicort Inhalation aerosol (inhaler) and Rhinocort Aqua, the rep from AstraZeneca said that there is no gluten in any of the ingredients, but they can't guarantee that the ingredients coming from various vendors won't change, in which case some of the ingredients may "come in contact" with gluten, although unlikely. They're inclined to think they're safe, but because of the vendor issue, they won't give gf status.

On a personal note (which is not scientific), I have used Rhinocort Aqua for a couple of months without a problem. The Symbicort, I just got today and don't know how it will work. I'm using it to replace both Asmanex and the nebulizer form of Xopenex.

I also called Spracor about Xopenex HFA inhalation aerosol (inhaler) and inhalation solution (nebulizer). Their rep said they are gluten free.  When I told them Xopenex makes me shake, I had to go through a mini-interview over it. I found it offensive that they could not tell me if the shaking is a minor annoyance or a dangerous side effect, especially if I have to use this stuff long-term.

The doctor is switching me to the Xopenex HFA to replace Proventil HFA. Xopenex works better, but I shake less with Proventil.  The manufacturer of Proventil (not sure of the company, off hand) will also not tell you if it's gf because of the vendor contamination issue, but I've used it safely for several years....no sign of gluten. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be doing the trick lately.

No slamming please. Don't beat me up because of the doctor's choices in meds. He's trying to find a happy medium for me, and he's a dear....and an asthmatic himself.

Lin