From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:11:57 -0500

The next meeting of the Austin Celiac Support Association* is scheduled for
October 7, 2004 at 7 p.m.  The meeting will be held at Tarrytown United
Methodist Church, 2601 Exposition Blvd., in the room 711.  Please note the
change in day from our normal meeting.

Our speaker for the evening will be Michelle Melin-Rogovin. Ms.
Melin-Rogovin is the Program Director for the University of Chicago Celiac
Disease Program.  Her presentation is titled "Taming Temptation: Practical
Strategies for Maintaining a 100% Gluten-Free Diet".  It shows us that
there are no easy answers, but that there are some surprising things that
can be learned from others who are also required to follow a strict diet
for medical reasons.

The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program is dedicated to patient
care services, research activities, medical education, and public awareness
initiatives in order to increase the rate of celiac diagnoses and improve
the lives of celiac patients. The Celiac Disease Program serves patients of
all ages.

As Program Director, Michelle works with Dr. Guandalini, the Program's
Board of Directors and volunteers to advance initiatives in research,
medical education, patient services and public awareness. Ms. Melin-Rogovin
also fundraises for every aspect of the program's work and coordinates
media outreach activities.

In 1997, Michelle received the Rose Kushner Award for Writing Achievement
in the Field of Breast Cancer from the American Medical Writers
Association. Currently, Michelle is a regular contributor to Living Without
Magazine, and the Scott-Free Guide to Gluten-Free Living, writing on topics
related to celiac disease and living with chronic illness.

We are so pleased to be able to host Ms. Melin-Rogovin.

Please bring a gluten free snack to share.  It is important that included
with each snack is a listing of ingredients.  Some of our members need to
avoid more than just gluten.  If the recipe is either original or has been
changed at least 3 times, please bring the recipe.  We can publish these
recipes in the recipe exchange section of our monthly newsletter.

Immediately preceding the meeting, our parent's group will meet to discuss
any issues pertinent to raising celiac children.  The parent's meeting will
start at 6:30 p.m.

If you have any questions, please contact Francie Kelley at
[log in to unmask] or
(512) 301-2224.  We hope to see you at the meeting.

  The Austin Celiac Support Association is part of Alamo Celiac, which is
CSA Chapter #65