Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 16:14:27 -0400

My orginal question was what listmembers have done re: wedding cakes and
catering for weddings--33 replies!  Thanks to all of you for
suggestions, those that offered help and/or had DC/ Northern VA
questions I'm sending a private response. The responses were great:

Several made or had family/friends make a GF cake, and had a
professional baker decorate it, and (lots did this) use it as the top to
a multi-layer cake.

A few respondents were able to find bakeries willing to tackle a GF
cake--although I think most were supplied with mixes. (GF Pantry,
Dietary Specialties and Authentic Foods were the mixes referred to most
often.)

Other options were special GF cupcakes or cookies and then a regular
cake for other guests.

The last two options are to have a flourless nut chocolate torte
(although they are known to break ceramic knives..) and cheesecakes.
Apparently, cheesecakes are quite the popular especially for weddings
in the Fall and Winter.  (You have to make sure that the crust is GF)

As you can see lots of ideas. As far as catering, some had everything
GF, others just had individual plates prepared.  Timing has been delayed
a bit for me--but my current thinking is that I will try to do
everything GF (make a statement to the families et al.) and that I will
probably not try to do it all myself.  Thanks again to all who
responded--I think I'm going to do some experimenting with mixes to see
what we like!

Lisa Symons
Falls Church, VA