Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 21:20:21 +0100

D. Kasarda's Post:

I was very pleased to see this posting (appended) as I suspect that for
the majority of all celiacs the concern about gluten contamination in
products that are not likely to have any gluten (or minute amounts, as in
drugs taken occasionally) is far too great.

Dear Mr. Kasarda: Perhaps I read your post incorrectly- but I got the
impression that you assume most people with Celiac disease can tolerate
a little gluten and it's OK. I'm here to tell you that is not the case
for me & many other folks w/ Celiac Sprue. I can have an entirely home
cooked certified gluten free meal, and one little wrong ingredient in a
salad dressing way down on the list in the fine print will give my
intestines a full blown reaction. I'm talking about eliminating the
entire meal with severe diarrhea, full blown skin reaction, the works. I
know different people have different levels of sensitivity, but some
people have a high degree, and it is not "in the head". It is purely
physiological. People who have eaten @ restaurants can get cross
contamination, and based on their degree of sensitivity, can become ill
with even a seemingly GF meal. Resulting in a reaction can go on for
hours of cramping, bloating, gas & the runs-needless to say, this can
ruin an entire outing. Do you have Celiac disease or is your post
speculative? Fran Gillespie