Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:59:24 -0500

Having recently joined the American Celiac Society, I have been the recepient
of most informative literature.  On the list of "Foods to Avoid"  are:

SUGAR BEETS, PEAS, DRIED BEANS, LIMA BEANS, CORN CURLS (if lactose is added
during processing), CREAMED VEGETABLES; with the the following footnote:
 Vegetables:  Cabbage and beans are very gaseous and could produce distress.
 Kernel corn is hard to digest and may also cause distress.  These products
should be eliminated if such systems arise.

I understand the gaseous precaution, however, I am confused about Sugar beets
and peas.  Can someone please respond as to why they are on the foods to
avoid.

Because I was diagnosed w/ celiac sprue at the end of October of this year, I
have been and still am in a deep learning, assimilating mode and one of
discovery!  Do I ever feel better.  However one of the reasons I received an
Endoscopy was because both my iron and calcium kept dropping--not good for
anyone, however in someone 56, very much not good.  I recently had some nose
bleeds, out of the blue, and so the Gastroentrologist perscribed Vitamin K.
 Here is my question:

Does anyone know of a gluten free Vitamin K1?

The CVS pharmacist here in Wash.,D.C. gave me Vitamin K1, Phytonadione,
Active, made by Merck, 5mg pill form, one a day.  After two days I felt as
though I had totally relapsed and had a lot of flatulence.  I stopped taking
the K1.  I telephoned Merck however the young man was reading whatever info
from a computer data base.  Finally he decided it had gluten and corn and
something else.  I attempted to explain that corn has gluten as well, albeit
good gluten.

 I can also get a Vitamin K produced by Twinlab however I need to check w/
them about the gluten free status of their version on Monday, as well as with
the Gastroentrologist to see if the over the counter version is proper for my
perscription.   Twinlab makes a lot of gluten free vitamins, such as C,
Multi-vitamins, etc. (1-800/645-5626)

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.  Sarah Barnett  (email: