From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:02:59 -0500

My md clued me in on this one....

Itching or skin irritation may also be caused by detergent, the
polyester in clothes OR the formaldahyde used in finishing fabrics.

If it is a reaction to poly, the skin on elbows and knees is usually red
and almost has a sandpaper look to it...that comes from tossing and
turning at night.  The only thing to do is switch to all cotton.

With detergent reactions you get a rash wherever clothes touch the body.
 This happened to my daughter and I switched to Dr Bronner's Liquid
Castile soap to do the wash etc.  Because it is a soap, you do not need
fabric softeners, so that's fewer chemicals  you're exposed to.

Formaldahyde is used to "finish" fabrics...it's that horrible smell that
hits you when you open a new package of sheets or a shirt.  IT DOES NOT
COME OUT IN WASHING.  The book "Clean and Green" suggests  that you wash
the clothes in as hot water as they will stand , adding one cup of
either Borax, Borateem , Washing soda or Baking powder in with the soap.
They dissolve the chemicals and wash them away.  I use either Barateem
of baking soda because they are finer and dissolve faster.  You only
have to do this once or twice....altho Borateem is an excellent stain
remover.

If it turns out that detergent is a problem and you must use soap, then
get a note from your dr, and keep receipts because you now have a new
medical tax deduction.

Dr Bronner's is super concentrated, so don't faint when you see the
price, and is available from discount houses and health food stores.  In
additon, Oxydol soap is back on the market...I saw it in Renovators
Supply [or Renovation?]and in their catalogue.