From:
Christine Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:44:00 -0500

Hi,

I just returned from a semester in Ireland and wanted to share my
findings--especially since I was given some good advice before I went.
Overall, Ireland is a great place for gluten-free!

List of gluten free options in Ireland

All over Ireland:

Hard Cider

 Bulmers: Bulmers hard cider is available in every pub in Ireland.  It's a
great feeling to order a pint and feel like part of the crowd—delicious too!

Other ciders are Magners and Cashels.

In grocery stores, many options of cider are available and often it is the
cheapest alcohol in stores (can be pricey in pubs.)

Local grocery stores, such as Spar, Tesco, Dunnes and SuperQuinn always have
at least some gluten free options.  Kelkin and Free From are 2 brands that
have decent gluten-free products.  .

Dublin:

Kilkenny Design Center Restaurant, Nassau St: gluten-free café that has
lunch options, soups, scones every day; usually only open until 5:30 PM.  The
scones are delicious and I have had no issues with contamination!

Cornucopia 19 Wicklow Street: Vegetarian restaurant; almost everything is
gluten-free as well, but their contamination practices seem to be
questionable, in my opinion.  I am very sensitive to trace gluten so I
avoided it after possibly getting sick once from it—up to you.  Their gf
bread is excellent though and they have large filling servings.

Beshoff's Brothers Fish and Chips: gluten free fish and chips every Saturday
from noon-5 PM.  Definitely worth a visit.

Roly's, 7 Ballsbridge; the owner is a celiac; www.rolysbistro.ie

Itsabagel: serves gluten free bagel sandwiches (in addition to regular ones)

Supermacs and McDonald's say their fries are gluten free in Ireland.

Peploe's Wine Bistro, 16 St. Stephen's Green

*O'Connells, *Bewley's Hotel, Merrion Road; Rosemary Kearney, author of
'Healthy Gluten Free Eating', has joined the team as a consultant, and the
goal is for O'Connell's to become Ireland's most coeliac-friendly
restaurant.

Galway:

Cellar Bar: restaurant with C's and MC's on menu (C's for Celiac friendly;
MC for can be modified for Celiacs)

Mia's Muffins: every Saturday there is an open-air market that has this
vendor who sells gluten free muffins, brownies and tarts.

The King's Head: Menu is marked for gluten-free food with a green dot next
to dishes.  Gluten free soup, good gluten-free bread, and gluten free beer
as well as cider

McSwiggens: Pub, just ask for which items are gluten free.  I had the best
vegetable soup here!

Balcony B&B: GF breakfast toast, eggs, bacon! Just email and mention it
before arrival.

CoCo Café: Gluten free bread; sandwiches, salads, cookies (packaged but
good)

The Coeliac Society of Ireland
Contact: Carmichael House
4 North Brunswick Street
*Dublin* 7, Ireland, Europe

Tel: 353-1-872-1471
(Mon-Wed-Fri 10 AM to 1 PM)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Hope this helps any Irish travelers!  (If you have a choice, go in
September/October, it's the best weather!)

Thanks,
Chrissy Andrews