From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:14:38 -0500

I have observed that Stop and Shop brand (store label) products (i.e. sour
cream, sherbet, etc.), may have very different ingredients depending on the
manufacturer.  This was particularly evident in their sour cream, which, on
16 oz. containers (on the shelf at the same time), had either four
ingredients, or eight. Of course, the product with the greater number of
ingredients included "modified food starch".

I contacted the Quality Control Department of Stop and Shop, and was
informed that the company does not require manufacturers of their product to
conform to a standardized recipe. I found this approach amazing, especially
when the QC person confirmed that the company does desire consumer loyalty
to their store brand. He did agree with me that a standardized r
ecipe would
be very helpful to customers with food allergies and sensitivities, but that
the company's philosophy does not reflect this recommendation which has been
previously voiced by this department.

If anyone feels strongly that this is a wrong and foolish approach to
developing product loyalty, as well as creating difficulties for those of us
who must research the foods we eat, please visit their website and convey
your thoughts:

http://www.stopandshop.com              or
http://63.77.181.30/